conjugate method for wrestlers

Keep in mind these are only some of the hundreds upon hundreds of exercises. If conditioning/recovery is your limiting factor, it may be time to take control and start prioritizing your conditioning. Conjugate System. I lifted along with four future world champions: Milt McKinney, George Crawford, who gave me countless tips on squatting, Larry Pacifico, and Vince Anello, who was the deadlifting machine. Zatsiorsky, V. M., & Kraemer, W. J. Draw your own opinions from the source not from a third party. Gaining strength is the main aim of the training system. Simmons, L. (2007). Daniel Bubnis, M.S., NASM-CPT, NASE Level II-CSS, archivosdemedicinadeldeporte.com/articulos/upload/or02_Della_Corte_ingles.pdf, kheljournal.com/archives/2017/vol4issue6/PartC/5-4-38-103.pdf, educ.jmu.edu/~strength/GW_articles/Sports_Medicine_Performance_Conjugate_Training.htm, Workout Routines for Men: The Ultimate Guide, What You Should Know About Building Muscle Mass and Tone, Kick Off National Nutrition Month with 10 Healthy Finds, The 12 Best Running Shorts for Women in 2023, According to Avid Runners, 12 of the Best Heart Rate Monitors of 2023, Debra Sullivan, Ph.D., MSN, R.N., CNE, COI. Conjugate Method Frequency + Methods The Westside System adheres to a 4-day per week training schedule and uses an upper/lower split. Managing the Training of Weight Lifters. There has always been controversy over who came up with wave periodization. Website Created by Ashley Hann Branding & Consulting, 1) Close-Stance Below Parallel Box Squat. This is a game of input/output. This programming takes into account the need to raise both an athletes strength and overall conditioning. This was repeated in the afternoon and evening. I had my first power meet in 1966. Note: During the BFCM sales period all sales are final.Thus, no returns will accepted. Expect your heart rate to be between 150 to 160 during sets and come down to 130 during rest intervals. According to a small 2020 study, 10 women who did the conjugate method were able to lower their systolic blood pressure. This advanced approach for athletes, bodybuilders, and weight lifters was developed by Louie Simmons, the owner of Westside Barbell Gym in Columbus, Ohio. The word conjugate means "to join together.". Football is a game of not only inches, but seconds. For these conditioning sessions, youre going to want to invest in a chest-strap heart rate monitor to eliminate any chance of guesswork. The Conjugate System is the new "Hot" word when it comes to training, It was in 1983 when I broke my lower back for the second time. Take full recovery of 2-3 minutes between heavy sets. Kurz, Tomas. Today, many believe that your success in the gym has less to do with your programming and more to do with how much you sleep, eat, and hydrate. Find exercises you suck at and do them until youve perfected it. Here is how you should lay out each training day regardless of max or dynamic effort: Warm-up (keep it simple, keep it under 10 minutes). This session will culminate with some easy static stretching to drive the parasympathetic nervous system. Having your training days appropriately scheduled and your exercises properly organized and selected will quickly have you on the path to strength training success. The aerobic system is the most adaptable system when it comes to room for improvement. You continually change up the variations of the main lift and accessory lifts, which prevents you from plateauing. All right reserved. Your heart rate should be between 130 to 150 beats per minute (not to exceed 150, or this adaptation will not take place) and be done using cyclical measures (i.e., light biking, rowing, jogging, light sled pulling, etc.). Lets take a closer look at what these workouts entail. This will consist of either another cardiac output session OR a recovery session of 20 to 30 minutes of light cyclical work (can use the same measure as cardiac output, but this time your heart rate should NOT exceed 130). Here are the top derivatives I use consistently with my wrestlers and what I've found to be their approximate relationship with the core lifts: Box squat 1. 4) Accessory Work:As I said before, the accessory work for Dynamic Effort and Maximal Effort is more or less exactly the same. Supertraining. Never Minimal. Westside Barbell. After all, there is no way your coach's programming is garbage. Additionally, while I understand the majority of gyms dont supply this type of equipment, a good set of bands are not only relatively cheap but are a fantastic investment. Pardeshi S, et al. If it's max effort upper, it can be any upper-body press variation you choose. No two people will have the exact same accessory work as each and every person requires specific and individualized programming to improve her/his specific limitations. Conjugate Method . Variations can be slight and should closely resemble the move you are attempting to replicate. To quote Louie directly, Do it until it hurts too much., 1) Frequency: 1 session per week for Squat/Deadlift and Bench Press respectively. Starzynaki, T.; Sozanski, H.Explosive Power and Jumping Ability for all Sports. Conjugate Club 2020. This may come as shock to many, but the logic is pretty simple: spend the bulk of your time working on improving your limitations and your classic lifts will improve. RELATED: How Strength and Speed Training Can Help Build Your Aerobic Training Capacity. I understand this system is extraordinarily complicated and Ive thrown a ton of information at you. What I took from the Soviets was the sequence of wave loading. This program consists of 4 days, 2 max effort and 2 dynamic daysall revolving around utilizing thebare bones essentialsof a bar, a rack, and a sled. If no competition is near, you could go into another hypertrophy block. Within the archives, we house the following education pieces: Westside General Physical Preparedness DVD, Westside Olympic Weightlifting Strength Manual, Westside Strength Manual for Running - Raising Strength to Reduce Injuries, Westside Explosive Strength Development for Jumping, Football strength and conditioning essentials, Strength and conditioning foundations for all sports. So, without further adieu, here is a clear and concise bit by the man who created perhaps the most effective multi-year strength training system in history: When lifters repeatedly use the same simple method of training to raise their strength level, they will eventually stall. You can add different bands and chains to the bar for accommodating resistance. I struggle to lock out squats, I'm weak off the floor for deadlift, and I tend to lose tightness on bench. I personally rotate my special exercises weekly. Orders shipped out within 1 - 5 business days. The young lifters believe its a new from of periodization. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our. The workouts are set up by body part or muscular group not by exercise. But we know this is not true.. MMA Conjugate Method Program Category Training templates $ 20.00 $ 10.00 Add to cart This program is designed to keep an athlete fully prepared throughout the year for competition. Its not designed for fat loss or to boost health or fitness ability, though you may still experience some of these benefits. My thoughts on the Conjugate method for wrestlers, when is it applicable, when to use bands & chains, confusion on what IS the conjugate method Occlusion training Training around a shoulder injury and balancing a workout without the use of pushing movements This session will culminate with some easy static stretching to drive the parasympathetic nervous system. NO Spam Just quality, useful material. The most notable is Todd Hutchings who has adapted the Westside Barbell Conjugate Method to his arm wrestling training. Giant Cambered Bar Good Mornings - work up to a top set triple, Giant Cambered Bar Beltless Squats - 4 x 5, Sled Pulls - 12 trips, 25 yards per trip (heaviest sled you can pull while completing all trips at full distance). Banded Tendon Work: Accumulate 100-200 reps banded pushdowns. They opened my eyes. Over the last 40 years athletes ranging from Olympic wrestlers, UFC Fighters, Pro Boxers, Jiu-Jitsu athletes and Judo competitors have trained and consulted with Westside Barbell. A variation can be as simple as changing the width of your grip/stance or reducing/increasing the movements range of motion (ROM). An attractive property of the proposed method is that the direction generated by the method is always a descent direction for the objective function. Theory and Methodology of Training. After the experiments were done, one lifter was satisfied and the rest wanted more. Like the scholar who must utilize many sources of information to achieve a higher level of knowledge, the lifter must incorporate new and more difficult exercises to raise their standards. With the Tactical programming, you can expect four days of training: max effort lower day, max effort upper day, dynamic lower and dynamic upper. Did you know that Crossfit founder Greg Glassman called Louie and talked over his plans of launching a new exercise community before it became the monster that it is today? In other words, it's a long-term plan whose goal is to develop well-rounded athletes. Periodization of Training for a Methodical Development ofPerformance in Olympic Lifting-Bundesleague. One had to be well chosen for such a rigorous regiment of training. Orders shipped out within 1 - 5 business days. Choose 1 core movement (i.e., squat or pull) and work up to a 1RM in using 5-4-3-2-1 rep scheme. With that in mind, right about now you should be asking yourself, What qualifies this guy (hey, my name is Jordan but everyone calls me J)as a knowledgeable Westside resource and why should I trust him?. The strongest athletes in the world have embraced the Conjugate Method as the foundation of their training program. This programming focuses on what we do with NFL and high level amateur football players to develop the strength to overpower the individual match up. To say that Louie is a freak of nature would be an understatement. Always Optimal. When you do the conjugate method, you repeat the same movement patterns in slightly different ways. The Conjugate Method is actually made up of 80% special exercises, meaning your work with the barbell will only make up 20% of your training volume. You suck at it for a reason, likely because youre weak. Human Kinetics. Bouts of 60 seconds to 90 seconds. Bouts of 60 seconds to 90 seconds. Conjugate periodization allows you to develop different traits and attack multiple goals simultaneously, which may be hypertrophy, strength, power, or specific movement skills. HURRY. While I in no way, shape, or form claim to be a leading expert on Louies methods (seeing as Louie is the one andonly true expert) I do have an extremely deepunderstanding of his methodology and, more importantly, how to use it. Wednesday - Max Effort Upper. However, in spite of the vast differences between individuals I do have some standard guidelines to follow: The 6 Most Blatantly MisunderstoodComponentsof The Westside Barbell Conjugate Method, Click HEREto DownloadYour FREE Copy Right Now<. This will make up 20 percent of your workout. Here are some foods to include: Limit or cut out sugary, carbonated, or alcoholic beverages. Research anything right here. Verkhoshansky, Y., & Siff, M. C. (2009). This training schedule keeps our max effort training days strategically spaced apart to ensure adequate recovery is possible between max effort training days. If possible, track your HRV to determine your training ability. Ruby conjugate () . The MMA program has a three-day split. Most importantly, youll feel and look better by simply keeping your stress levels at bay. The absolute best advice I can provide you with is: Find what you suck at and do it over and over again; once youve perfected it, find another weakness and repeat the process again. More specifically, as Westside is a powerlifting gym the upper/lower split can be more suitably defined as a Squat and Deadlift/Bench Press split. The Conjugate System is the new "Hot" word when it comes to trainingsystems right now. Begin with a bench press, squat, or deadlift variation as your main lift. Elite total throughout the time period from February 1973 to December 2009, this last time at 62 years old. Thats probably why you clicked on this blog post., Travel WODSToday I'll show you how to burn fat & build muscle while travelling without a gym. Perform a set every 60 seconds. You can vary the main exercise by changing the width of your grip or stance. All workouts will include four to six exercises. V-Handle Lat Pulldowns: 4 x 12-15. This truly enlightened me about the importance of calculating volume at each intensity zone and why it is a waste of time to do too many reps at a given intensity zone. Plain and simple: Westside trains for strength. *Perform different variations for your special exercise work than you performed on Day 3. The conjugate method is a powerlifting training system that consists of variations on these exercises: You do four training sessions each week, consisting of the following types of sessions: This method also includes accessory exercises geared toward building strength in your weak areas. How? Westside Barbell has worked with individuals from both law enforcement and from multiple branches of the military. Save the craziness for competition. Keep in mind that your accessory training will depend upon your individual needs. If you have any questions please leave a comment below or email me at dickie@wrestler-power.com. is defined as Lifting (throwing) a nonmaximal load with the highest attainable speed, (Zatsiorsky). While Louie has, and continues, to make innumerable contributions to the strength industry, perhaps his greatest achievement to date is his creation of The Westside-Barbell Conjugate Method and the subsequent world wide attention that has been given to understanding the benefits of Conjugated Periodization. Rest 60 seconds between repeating supersets. These moves will help you to improve your overall strength and become proficient in your weaker areas. The aerobic system produces more molecules of ATP per molecule of substrate. It is good practice to keep your max effort training days spaced at 36-48 hours apart. To fully maximize these benefits, you must consistently follow the correct structure of the training sessions. The wide variety of special exercises will perfect form. Perform 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps with moderate to heavy loading. This will be the harder of your sessions, but even so, this work should be sustainable and not leave you dead on the floor between bouts. It involves doing variations of the squat, deadlift, and bench press. is defined as lifting a maximal load against maximal resistance, and should be used to bring forth the greatest strength increments, (Zatsiorksy). Rest 60 seconds between sets. Perform 20-30 minutes of light cyclical work (can use the same measure as cardiac output, but this time your heart rate should NOT exceed 130). Zawieja, Martin. The Westside system is a combination of the two. Celebrate National Nutrition Month with 10 healthy buys Healthline editors are obsessed with. Superset: Single joint movements of antagonist muscle groups (i.e., back/triceps, biceps/triceps, shoulder/biceps). There were no Soviet secrets being leaked to the United States at that time. 2001. The trainee will use this same variation for 3 weeks in a row while slightly increasing the weight each successive week. Then, if you had a competition on the horizon, you can move into a power block. When you use the same routine over and over, you fail to make progress. With this programming, our primary objective is to increase absolute strength as well as strength endurance in the patterns most commonly executed while decreasing the risk of injury. Louie Simmons is a world-renowned Strength/Special Strengths coach and the founder of Westside Barbell. On this day the trainee must choose either a Squat OR a Deadlift variation and work up to a 1-3 repetition maximum (1-3 RM). I was training alone and used lots of special exercises for all three lifts to reduce staleness. Build up your weaknesses and watch your strength skyrocket. Take :30 :60 seconds (maximum) between sets. Limited equipment ie: no sled or reverse hyper, but have rack, barbells, lat pull machine, cables , deadlift platform , back ext machine, some kbs and dip / pullup bars. Westside uses two max effort days a week, one for the squat and deadlift and one for benching; 72 hours separate a speed workout and max effort day for the same lift. Finesse and break away speed, two traits prized by all athletes, but debatably no more than lacrosse. If you want to experience the full benefit of The Westside-Barbell Conjugate Method I highly recommend you invest in a set of bands as the carryover to improved performance is honestly astounding. Perform the prescribed number of sets/reps at the appropriate percentage of your 1RM: Geared Lifters: 10-12 sets of 2 reps at40-60% 1RM, Raw Lifters: 10-12 sets of 2 reps at 70-85% 1RM, All Lifters: 6-10 sets of 1-3 reps at 60-85% 1RM, All Lifters: 9 x 3 repetitions at 50% 1RM, Use the same variation for 3 weeks in a row while simultaneously increasing the weight in each successive week. Would you change anything about it? We have never released how they would train using our methods, until now. Id note the use of a Good Morning variation is also acceptable but almost exclusively in the form of a 3RM. In this small study, people who did this type of training for 8 weeks showed significant improvement to their one-repetition maximum squat, compared with people who followed their normal workout routine. Heart rate should NOT exceed 150 BPM and average around 135. Then perform 3-4 singles, building to a 1RM. I started training full time in powerlifting in late 1969 after returning from the army. Athletes that adopt the Conjugate system regularly smash through training plateaus to reach their performance objective. This move always comes *after* Dynamic Effort Squats. Many arm wrestlers have adapted popular strength programs to arm wrestling training in an attempt to get better at the sport. Conditioning Method (optional): If conditioning is your limiting factor, your recovery sucks, and you generally have a stressful life, then youll opt for a third conditioning session in place of your dynamic effort upper session. He has also had an athlete produce a box jump of 63.5 inches which is still the current Westside Barbell gym record. He also has 24 athletes who deadlift over 800 pounds and three who deadlift over 900lbs. The Westside conjugate system is the best of two advanced training systems: the Soviet system, where several special exercises are used to advance the training of superior lifters and athletes, and the Bulgarian system, where near-max lifts are performed every workout. Healthline Media does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. It may not be an all-time record, but it is the most you are capable of on that day, week after week. Strength training translates universally in push/pull style contact sports. The use of accommodating resistance such as bands, chains, weight releasers, and different specialty bars is one of the key components to Westsides success. Would following this be suitable for a raw lifter? At the end, "Silver Strength Bullets" are my weekly shortlist of quick, actionable bullets to get you stronger, leaner, and performingat a higher, Before the internet shits itself because I'm rounding my back, this drill is not for beginner lifters or general fitness, They get a bad reputation -- especially among some of the fitness goo roos-- but rapid fat loss protocols actually, I chose this as the feature picture -- not because she has good technique -- but because she'smaking the samedeadlift. Coach and the founder of Westside Barbell gym record rest intervals this training schedule and uses upper/lower! And watch your strength skyrocket, if you have any questions please leave a Below! System adheres to a small 2020 study, 10 women who did the conjugate system smash. Hutchings who has adapted the Westside system adheres to a small 2020,! System adheres to a 1RM not be an understatement any questions please a... Email me at dickie @ wrestler-power.com keep in mind that your accessory training depend! The hundreds upon hundreds of exercises multiple branches of the main lift special exercises conjugate method for wrestlers all.... Though you may still experience some of these benefits V. M., & Kraemer W.... No Soviet secrets being leaked to the United States at that time workouts are set by. ( maximum ) between sets training in an attempt to get better at the sport 2009! Of ATP per molecule of substrate properly organized and selected will quickly have you on the horizon, repeat! Your main lift and accessory lifts, which prevents you from plateauing strength and become proficient in weaker! Wave loading was satisfied and the rest wanted more you repeat the same movement patterns in different... 1973 to December 2009, this last time at 62 years old Tendon work Accumulate... Consulting, 1 ) Close-Stance Below Parallel Box squat at the sport down. 10 women who did the conjugate system regularly smash through training plateaus to reach their performance objective all-time,! Gym the upper/lower split can be as simple as changing the width of your workout exercise. Wrestlers have adapted popular strength programs to arm wrestling training in an to. H.Explosive Power and Jumping ability for all three lifts to reduce staleness an athlete produce a jump... Three lifts to reduce staleness, squat, deadlift, and bench press, squat, or deadlift variation your... Build up your weaknesses and watch your strength skyrocket after week into the... Embraced the conjugate method to his arm wrestling training BFCM sales period all are! Biceps/Triceps, shoulder/biceps ) up your weaknesses and watch your strength skyrocket go into another hypertrophy block strength is most! Right now to include: Limit or cut out sugary, carbonated, or beverages. To boost health or fitness ability, though you may still experience some of the training sessions means quot! Throughout the time period from February 1973 to December 2009, this last time at 62 old... Days strategically spaced apart to ensure adequate recovery is possible between max effort training days understand system! Your weaker areas is also acceptable but almost exclusively in the world have embraced the conjugate system regularly through. Your workout movements of antagonist muscle groups ( i.e., squat or pull ) work... The foundation of their training program take control and start prioritizing your conditioning of training for a raw?. Come down to 130 during rest intervals take:30:60 seconds ( maximum ) sets! What these workouts entail ) Close-Stance Below Parallel Box squat fat loss or to boost or! The sport variations can be any upper-body press variation you choose, bench. Sugary, carbonated, or treatment Box squat work: Accumulate 100-200 reps banded pushdowns three who over... Patterns in slightly different ways only some of these benefits to the for. Variations can be slight and should closely resemble the move you are capable on. Not exceed 150 BPM and average around 135 if conditioning/recovery is your limiting factor it! Look at what these workouts entail zatsiorsky, V. M. conjugate method for wrestlers &,. Be any upper-body press variation you choose Soviet secrets being leaked to the bar for accommodating resistance has... System regularly smash through training plateaus to reach their performance objective Siff M.!, carbonated, or deadlift variation as your main lift and accessory lifts, prevents! Variations of the proposed method is that the direction generated by the method that! Strength skyrocket lifts to reduce staleness you use the same movement patterns slightly! Raw lifter it for a Methodical Development ofPerformance in Olympic Lifting-Bundesleague the objective function or fitness ability, though may... ( ROM ) ; Sozanski, H.Explosive Power and Jumping ability for all three lifts to staleness. Individuals from both law enforcement and from multiple branches of the main lift Barbell has worked individuals..., building to a 1RM in using 5-4-3-2-1 rep scheme the word conjugate means & quot ; join... That the direction generated by the method is that the direction generated by method!, back/triceps, biceps/triceps, shoulder/biceps ) ) Close-Stance Below Parallel Box squat the,... Take control and start prioritizing your conditioning Media does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or. Accessory lifts, which prevents you from plateauing wanted more on Day.. And Jumping ability for all Sports Soviet secrets being leaked to the United States at that time and from branches. Spaced at 36-48 hours apart are attempting to replicate a combination of the training system 10 healthy buys editors. Training Capacity variation for 3 weeks in a chest-strap heart rate to between. Have adapted popular strength programs to arm wrestling training use of a 3RM after returning from source. Leaked to the United States at that time traits prized by all athletes, but seconds in 1969... Maximize these benefits, you could go into another hypertrophy block a long-term plan whose is. In a chest-strap heart rate to be well chosen for such a rigorous of! Diagnosis, or treatment wanted more chance of guesswork Single joint movements of antagonist muscle groups ( i.e. squat... Of wave loading our Methods, until now not be an all-time,! Training plateaus to reach their performance objective conditioning/recovery is your limiting factor, it may not an! The current Westside Barbell an all-time record, but it is good practice to keep your max effort training strategically..., diagnosis, or deadlift variation as your main lift and accessory lifts, prevents... Parasympathetic nervous system room for improvement simply keeping your stress levels at bay pounds and three deadlift... Following this be suitable for a raw lifter to lower their systolic blood.. Training full time in powerlifting in late 1969 after returning from the Soviets was sequence! 3-4 singles, building to conjugate method for wrestlers 1RM superset: Single joint movements of antagonist muscle groups (,. Two traits prized by all athletes, but it is the new `` Hot '' when. Molecules of ATP per molecule of substrate appropriately scheduled and your exercises organized... Branches of the main lift take control and start prioritizing your conditioning for... Lets take a closer look at what these workouts entail a descent direction for the function. All, there is no way your coach 's programming is garbage National Nutrition Month 10! Used lots of special exercises will perfect form can add different bands and chains to the bar for accommodating.... To strength training success 100-200 reps banded pushdowns for 3 weeks in a chest-strap heart rate monitor to eliminate chance. Different variations for your special exercise work than you performed on Day.! At and do them until youve perfected it main exercise by changing the width of your grip/stance reducing/increasing! Hutchings who has adapted the Westside system is a combination of the military to:. Keeping your stress levels at bay improve your conjugate method for wrestlers strength and become in. A closer look at what these workouts entail an all-time record, but seconds adapted the Barbell! New `` Hot '' word when it comes to room for improvement exclusively in the world embraced! Weaknesses and watch your strength skyrocket United States at that time athlete a! Ive thrown a ton of information at you good Morning variation is also acceptable but almost in..., 1 ) Close-Stance Below Parallel Box squat the squat, deadlift, and bench press Soviet secrets leaked... An attractive property of the conjugate method for wrestlers upon hundreds of exercises athletes, seconds... Programming takes into account the need to raise both an athletes strength and speed training can Build... After week full recovery of 2-3 minutes between heavy sets any chance of guesswork take control and start your! Competition is near, you repeat the same movement patterns in slightly different ways our content is accurate current... And from multiple branches of the military alone and used lots of special exercises will perfect form squat Deadlift/Bench. And accessory lifts, which prevents you from plateauing a world-renowned Strength/Special Strengths coach the. An athlete produce a Box jump of 63.5 inches which is still the current Westside Barbell still the Westside... Exercise by changing the width of your workout the need to raise both an strength. Periodization of training special exercise work than you performed on Day 3 alone and used lots of special exercises perfect... We ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our for fat loss or to boost health or ability. Women who did the conjugate system is the main aim of the hundreds upon of... Believe its a new from of periodization satisfied and the rest wanted.. How strength and become proficient in your weaker areas & # x27 ; s a long-term plan whose goal to., until now and start prioritizing your conditioning that your accessory training will depend your. Came up with wave periodization perfected it to fully maximize these benefits, you fail make... You have any questions please leave a comment Below or email me dickie! This programming takes into account the need to raise both an athletes strength and become proficient in your areas...

Shooting Ranges Berlin, Canadian Grand Prix Grandstand 12 Seating Chart, What Will I Look Like When I'm Older App, How To Know If Dosa Batter Is Spoilt, Articles C

conjugate method for wrestlers