dragontail peak ski

West northwest wind between 9 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. Colchuck Lake and Lake Stuart Trail offer the most direct way to . I eventually got two ice screws bottomed out on a slab of ice and slung a piece of rock sticking out also. ), and the party below us (Geoff Georges and Jeessica Todd) told us later they were able to get a solid ice-screw in the turf. He was a little uncomfortable, but after squeezing in a #1 cam at the crux, sent the tight chimney! With cars trickling in and eager groups donning snowshoes, micro spikes, and camera straps, we skinned past the ranger cabinand up the switch-backing trail toward Flattop Mountain. It was great watching you guys drop in (and then see you each in one piece coming out of the hidden couloir). Log in and send us They had followed me the entire route all the way to the summit! The couloirsfeatures makekeeping all members of your group within sight at all times tricky. However, the steep north face of Dragontail would keep the route out of the sun all day. It began to hit us why this was such a famous climb. I am very thankful to be able to adopt and continue to provide lots of information about this wonderful peak here on SummitPost. Emerge onto the large talus field and begin ascending towards Aasgard Pass. The prey? 47.75N 121.09W (Elev. 4879 ft) Last Update: 5:05 am PST Feb 28, 2023. Ever since putting the skin track in during the morning we knew it was going to be powder. Be wary of the possibility of people below or above you as you descend. I pulled into the trailhead at 4:59 am, just one minute early! I'm stoked to be back in Alaska! Note that routefinding to Colchuck Col can be trickylook back on the ascent and make notes for the descent. The name Dragontail comes from the jagged ridge of rock needles on the thin ridge crest SW of the summit resembling a long spiny trail of a dragon. Fortunately we still had a few hours of daylight and headlamps in our backpacks. Summertime brings warm daytime temperatures and cool nights and the fantastic granite in the entire Stuart range shines brightly for all the climbers who waited all winter to get their hands on the granite once again. It was quite exhausting. goratex rukavice, garmont dragontail GTX, mammut, dynafit, bunda, leginy Kari Traa, Spyder . There is an easy walkup route on the south side of the peak. Peak Design pouzdro Tech Pouch Geniln organizr s jednoduchm pstupem pro rzn psluenstv a cestovn nleitosti. There are routes that will challenge the seasoned climber in both summer and winter as well as a handful of scramble routes to challenge the up and rising mountaineers. searching for extra of your magnificent post. Tax ID: 27-3009280. 705 2nd Ave, Suite 300 (363), Climber's Log Entries Dragontail Peak is the second highest peak in the Stuart Range, exceeded only by 9,415 footMt. Seattle Back Court 100 Peak Challenge . Seasonality. Climb either steep talus or snow depending on the time of year up the left side of the glacier to avoid any crevasses closer to the northeast face of Colchuck Peak. Before long it was time to get snowboarding down Dragontail Peak. Winds increasing (calm on Mon night, near gales from the NW by Wed afternoon). Rock on this peak is unusually sound and its expansive NW face is one of the finest . Bringing the right safety gear is critical (beacon, probe, shovel at minimum), but gear doesnt replace taking an avalanche safety course. They circled the area for a while, so we were unsure if they had found anyone. It was frustrating and awkward. Our plan was to climb Dragontail Peak by the Serpentine Arete car-to-car from the Colchuck Lake Trailhead on Thursday, August 31. There is one section that constricts to the length of my skis, and a self-beloay with axe was handy to sideslip this short, steep section of snow over rock. We decided to text the sheriff saying the hiker was injured and needed rescue. I have joined your rss feed and stay up for Looking back we would occasionally see our tracks now in the shade. By now the snow had turned to slush but it was a fun line non the less. We had finished the route! I don't like getting up super early to ski mediocre snow and have to rush back to the car, and then be tired at work all day. So maybe I still haven't seen the real anchorage, just a sunny colorful mirage. If you want to see more ski tours within the Stevens Pass Backcountry check out this link. When we got to the base of the runnels, we quickly agreed it was too thin for us to climb. I earn a small commission on sales via these links at no additional cost to you. It looked pretty steep and intimidating with only intermittent jams. He was in. Stay to center left at top to avoid cliffs. 04 apr 2021 Santa Fe Baldy solo ski, from Ski Santa Fe, NM. There are no activities scheduled at this location. Talking to Jacob, we decided to go into Colchuck Lake, take a look at Triple Couloirs, and climb the easier North Buttress Couloir of Colchuck as a backup. Original Northwest rock music; fast paced and eclectic with equal parts fun, whimsy, sarcasm, 90 degree & 180 degree turns, and unobstructed rock &. to fill my thermos with an excessive amount of caffeine I left Seattle I don't like getting up super early to ski mediocre snow and have to rush back to the car, and then be tired at work all day. The rating of "grade IV" is from Nelson and Potterfield guidebook and is probably on the conservative side; class 5.8 rating comes from a. LEAVENWORTH, Wash. - The Chelan County Sheriff's Office says a man has died while climbing on Dragontail Peak after falling "several hundred feet." Deputies say 66-year-old Richard Thurmer . Extremely cold (max 0F on Sat afternoon, min -8F on Thu night). Continue until you get to Colchuck lake. Entdecke das groe Sortiment im HERVIS Outdoor-Shop Wanderbekleidung Wanderschuhe Ruckscke Zelte und mehr Jetzt shoppen! Near the top of the lateral moraine, we had to step off onto some snow to get to the orange colored rock that marked the beginning of the route. Flickr photos, groups, and tags related to the "skidragontailpeak" Flickr tag. As I followed, I noticed a huge snow patch blocking the route, but seemingly no footprints in the snow. Colchuck Lake lies at the base of the north faces and is the favorite spot for many Washington hikers and climbers. Thanks to @brigettetakeuchi for allowing me to be the ski subject for once and getting this sick capture. Generally considered a challenging route. This route is somewhat popular and generally gets climbed by one variation or another several times each spring. As I imagined the jammed parking lot and our imminent return to civilization, a raven glided by, swoopingbetween cliffs, leading the descent. Awesome! good to see more skiers being drawn to that classic route. From our vantage point we had a clear view of the Enchantment Mountains and the Central Cascades. Dragontail is a modern take on the West Coast IPA, with a blend of hops that give bring out notes and aromas of juicy citrus, sweet peach, and honeydew melon. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports. Saying yes was a bit of a leap for me. (jOkE!). telemarker Right before reaching the pass, begin hiking southwest passing a small pond (Mist Pond) and aiming for the huge snowfield on the east face of Dragontail Peak. While we brought and used a #3, it was never. We were about an hour and a few switchbacks behind but happy to be in visual distance. @heinelogan or @samchaneles ? CHARMING Single Story Cottage Nestled in the Heart of Centennial Hills with brand new black stainless steel appliances! However, we were able to find small pockets of softer stuff. A heavy fall of snow, heaviest during Thu night. 1. Challenges featuring Dragontail Peak. From the northwest was the Chiwaukum area. 3. I got up the second time, but still managed to catch the picket on some rock and send it flying down the snow beneath. Dragontail Peak is located within the Enchantments, off of the Icicle Creek access road. Dragontail Peak, Serpentine Arete - 31 August 2017 Report of a Private Climb by two Mountaineers Members Photo - the SAR helicopter departing assgard Pass. Here is (Tim?) I had vowed not to After we reached the couloir, we zipped up our collars, pulled buffs over our noses, and scoped. Stuart. Contributions to WTA are tax deductible, and we are committed to making the best use of every donation to our mission. within 100 mi. For the walk-up route on the south side of the peak, either the Colchuck Lake/Aasgard Pass approach can be used, or you can hike the Snow Creek trail and ascend to the Enchantment basin from Snow Lakes. SOLD JUN 14, 2022. Will and I convinced him to join us for the Option #3 variation, replacing the three raps with one short one. Sign in|Recent Site Activity|Report Abuse|Print Page|Powered By Google Sites. The pitch ended with some 5.8 lichen covered slab, probably the crux of the entire route! If you want to find some of the best snow conditions in Washington Dragontail Peak is the place to go. The Serpentine Arte is a massive rock ridge that slithers (sorry) out of the Colchuck Glacier, weaving 2000 feet upward to the summit of Dragontail Peak. Oh yeah! Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, Wenatchee River Ranger District, You can improve or add to this guidebook entry, Washington Trails Association While I love powder I wasnt interested in hiking up a 4000 foot south facing avalanche path. Andy and Jeff had climbed it just the weekend prior. 357. At the headwall, Kyle had to sack up and earn his keep by leading the small rock headwall, a 20 meter pitch protected by one in-situ piton in the first 10'. Thank you for always supporting me and pushing me to be a better person, while always making me laugh and being so silly. I prefer getting my work done, heading up in no rush, catching the sunset, and skiing in the dark. Generally considered a challenging route, it takes an average of 15 h 11 min to complete. Now I can check that off my bucket list! That is very fascinating, Youre an excessively professional blogger. The Enchantments, Wenatchee River Ranger District (OWNF), Basic Alpine Climb, Strenuous 4, Technical 4, Strenuous 2, Technical 2, In early season, nearly the entire descent from Assgard Pass can be glissaded. The page states that permit season ends on October 15th. The route had taken us 7 hours and 10 hours from car to summit. March 21, 2010 in Alpine Lakes, Trip: Dragontail Peak TC Ski - Triple Couloirs: Option #3. I contacted a friend, who had heard that Triple Couloirs was still too thin to climb the previous week, but might be a little better this weekend. The trail gradually climbs through forest along Mountaineer Creek and crosses creek at 1.5 miles on a log bridge. Washington Top 100 Peak Challenge. Your previous content has been restored. Ascend snow (early season) or talus to glacier (no crevasses but can be icy by mid-season) and follow glacier to Colchuck Col. A couple of hundred feet left (east) of Colchuck Col, ascend the couloir to a notch in the ridge (Pandora's Box). For the Colchuck Lake approach, continue up the Icicle Creek road and turn left on road no. Dragontail Peak. It was this huge, 20 ft long, 4 ft wide ledge, perfect for switching to rock shoes! Things are different this time around - more exploring close to town, not much powder lying around, micro adventures - but it is fun to get to experience local Anchorage. It was not too cold, which is usually a bad sign for an ice and snow climb like this. You can post now and register later. Not bad for a 2000 ft grade IV route! Skied the Triple Couloirs on Dragontail Peak yesterday. Follow the trail as it stays well left of the waterfall and reach Aasgard Pass at 7,800 feet. The route was through open rocks which made it easy to climb. The terrain here was surprisingly stable and we made very good time up to the base of the lateral moraine. We managed without crampons and and ice ax because there is no real steep snow to cross, but it all depends on your ability to kick steps. 600 Sherbourne Leavenworth, WA 98826 (509)-548-6977. Thanks, Mrs. Krantz! I walked up until the rope ran out and set up a belay amongst boulders. The top of the ridge is surprisingly flat considering its craggy facade, offering an easy south-side traverse over meadow and consolidated talus toward the summit block of Dragontail." Tim and I were actually #1 and 2 ahead of Shannon and Yuri- they broke trail up to the TCs and up Couloir #1, then Tim and I took over from the bottom of #2 to the summit. WTA Pro Tip: Save a copy of our directions before you leave! Its position above Colchuck Lake was tantalizing. If still snow covered, beware of avalanche danger and choose the best route to the pass. % fr Mnner Top-Marken im Sale - Jetzt online kaufen! There is an easy walkup route on the south side of the peak. All Rights Reserved. The I am going to need to work hard to find something more technical than this. After a change of footwear and organization of gear, we started hiking down Dragontail. Fortunately, Jacob had an inReach, so he texted his mother to call 911 on behalf of the hiker and request a rescue. But use cautionserious accidents have happened glissading from Aasgard Pass. Keep up the good work. Couloirs. It offers beautiful scenery as well as great terrain with most of it being North facing. The upper hand crack was super cruiser. There are campsites on both the west side and the south end of the lake. Small cams and pitons were helpful. Chance of precipitation is 60%. We waited around at the top of the TC's for the another two hours for the other three parties to top out, so as not to bombard them with our slough. We emerged from the dead quiet of our jagged hideaway about 10 minutes later. The Dragontail Mountains are a mountain range in the U.S. state of Idaho. Ascend southeast on a broad, steep slope to Aasgard Pass. I led up left through some more sketchy lichen covered slab back on route to the 3rd class choss. The Mountaineers teaches skills and leads outdoor activities for all ages and levels in the Pacific Northwest. It had been a great day with a fun crew on Dragontail Peak. After a full month of preparing to sell my home in Bellingham throughout the month of March, of which my parents and a few friends came up to help me with various projects on the home, Josh and I. For scramblers, a climb of Dragontail is a great addition to a backpacking trip to the Enchantment Lakes. Forecast Discussion. From the Mountaineer Creek trailhead at the end of the Eightmile Road, begin hiking up the trail towards Stuart and Colchuck Lakes. It was really unfortunate. I'm excited to see what they'll do in the coming years. There is plenty of route finding on snow, and snowshoes are recommended through May, so a fairly high level of commitment is required, but it can be done! (8), Images 17 may 2021 Ontological Obscurity @12,728' solo ski from Taos Ski Valley, NM. With heavy packs, we slowly made our way through the forest. It had been a long day but well worth it. The north face rock climbing routes on Dragontail are very popular among climbers. The summit ridge extends about 1/2 mile and includes several summit towers. Standard alpine equipment including crampons. It was time to head back to the car as we skinned across Colchuck Lake. It inspired confidence all the way down to our North Face topout. Instead, when they arrived at the hikers, they just asked us if we had an ability to call for an evacuation. Being the second highest peak in the area just behind Mount Stuart we were off to ride some powder in May. From the European Alps to the far more formidable Issy Alps, we had a great year. Found 285 results. Earlier in the week I had been in this zone heading up Mount Aix. 5,400 ft. Dragontail Peak, located near the town of Leavenworth in the central Cascades, is the huge sight above Colchuck Lake. The East Ridge is about the easiest route up this coveted peak, with some moderate glacier travel and 3rd class scrambling. Dragon Tail Couloir is a Colorado classic. In the style of the first descentist, we rapped with skis on, and proceeded down the wind-scoured snow of the N. Face to the top of the Hidden Couloir. The summit is a small bedrock clump that drops on the north. Traverse just below the summit ridge to its south side until you arrive at the highest point and scramble to the top. Fliegenfischen von Zpoicaegn aus dem Bereich Angeln gnstig bei JoggenOnline bestellen: Groe Auswahl Top Marken Beste Preise Continue reading, 93 somewhat obsessed so after a quick stop to grab coffee for the road and Our route out was brutal as we battled the thick forests. The rope drag was heinous as I belayed him up. Cheers! Over the weekend, Jacob and I met up to climb Serpentine Arete, a long 2000 ft moderate route up the huge, complex north face of Dragontail Peak in the Enchantments. Who skied it better? Couloir skiers also head to Dead Elk, adjacent to Dragon Tail, the Dream Chutes, and lines off Hallett Peak. DARK BLUE: Colchuck Lake/Aasgard Pass Approach, YELLOW: East Slopes Standard Route - Class 3, LIGHT BLUE: Northeast Buttress - Class 5.8. After rounding the lake, we started heading up boulders towards the Colchuck Glacier Moraine. As he approached Aasgard Pass, I ran down the slopes to catch up to him. All Rights Reserved. View Dragontail Peak Image Gallery - 363 Images. Generally I'm not a fan of the dawn patrol. We discussed our options and agreed that we would still try the route, but likely take an easier, more circuitous bypass of the runnels. Required fields are marked *. Read Powder7sinterview with Lynsey Dyer. Trail steepens after the bridge and at 2.5 miles the junction with Colchuck Lake Trail is . Dragontail Peak climbed via Triple Couloirs on April 29, 2017 with Bryson Williams. It had went from powder snow to wet slush with the sun beating down on us. Garmont Dragontail Tech GTX - Men's and other great waterproof shoes and boots for approach, hiking, backpacking, and mountaineering at BackcountryGear.com. Snap! Yes, walking was definitely faster and saner yesterday. So we continued on and hoped the rescue would come quickly. In the upper half of the pitch, I kept wandering upwards, eventually running out of rope and needing Jacob to simul a few feet to make a belay. Eventually, I spotted a rappel anchor. Dragontail Peak via Stuart Lake Trail. Rock on this peak is unusually sound and its expansive NW face is one of the finest walls in the Cascades. Normally around this time of year we would be riding corn but we had around a foot of new snow. Ed skiing down the Colchuck couloir after summiting Dragontail Peak, WA Hopefully one day someone will be able to ski continuously through the runnels section that would fuk'n, one note: You guys missed the best, and most exhilarating skiing of the route however, which the transition between the third and middle couloirs, and the middle couloir itself! Still, it is awesome. The snow was a little funky down the Snow Creek Glacier, but we got some decent boot skiing in. Overview. Jacob hesitated briefly through some thing fingery moves, but sent the crux with relative ease. The name Dragontail comes from the jagged ridge of rock needles on the thin ridge crest SW of the summit resembling a long spiny trail of a dragon. Somehow, the descent down Aasgard did not feel as bad this time, but I think I was just well rested from all the belaying and climbing. From the European Alps to the far more formidable Issy Alps, we had a great year. He climbed some rock hit him in the knee, which is why he fell in the first place! Descend left, then traverse left (northeast) to the summitsome parties use ropes for this part. They're hugely impressive young athletes setting FKTs all over the west and taking some beautiful photography along the way! After a bomber screw early on, there was a lot of relatively easy but very runout slabby mixed terrain. Leavenworth 5 Peak Challenge. Dragontail Peak is the second highest peak in the Stuart Range, exceeded only by 9,415 foot Mt. Before You Go. The climbing here was mostly 3rd and 4th class and quite loose with no real protection. This notch is at 8,500 feet making the snow climb roughly 700 feet. Thanks! Notes. With most of the skin track already broken in we made our way up relatively fast. You dropped in blind on Colchuck and that's got some commitment to it :-). Shouldering our skis and boot-packing didnt stop us gawking at the monoliths and sheer faces above the gorge. Creamy turns down the sun-soaked apron above Emerald Lake floated us down to, sure enough, streed-shoed crowds amassing in the pine shade. As we hydrated, another skier descended the bottom of the couloir. Triple Couloirs, the famous route up the north face of Dragontail Peak, was once a far-fetched dream, but now seemed within reach. Rappelling into the Runnels placed us near the top of the entire Runnels section, bypassing the most difficult sections. Way to make it happen! They had attempted the route this morning, but turned around at the runnels due to thin ice conditions and poor visibility. He will lead sketchy, runout mixed pitches, but finds steep skiing insane. The entrance to the first couloir was steep and exposed snow, with some possible ice to the right if you really wanted. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. 2 talking about this. We arrived at the closed gate to the Stuart Lake Trailhead mid morning on Friday. With solid hand and foot holds we pushed up the final 20 feet and soon enough we were on the summit. By Dragontail Peak. Ascend southeast on a broad, steep slope to Aasgard Pass. The crux of the route is moving from the first hidden couloir to the second couloir, which is in the middle of the face. As we were near the top, we heard and saw a helicopter approaching. You cannot paste images directly. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13. Turn left and follow the trail to Colchuck Lake. GPS Waypoints - Hover or click to see name and lat/long Peaks: climbed . Copper Mountain Ski Area. go back until there was a more favorable forecast and potential for Anyone whos hiked the three and a half miles out and back to Emerald Lake knows the couloir looks impressive, even ominous. Some people in Anchorage have lived here for years and never seen the Northern Lights. People have died here by straying too far to the right. Rocky Mountain National Park sees more than four million visitors each year, and because it stays open longest, Bear Lake Road carries the brunt of the parks winter traffic. 1,708 Sq. As spring rolled around, we set our eyes on loftier goals. Did you know WTA has a mobile app? Dragon Tail doesnt claim secret-gem status. The Dragontail Mountains are part of the Columbia Plateau, which is a large area of basaltic lava flows in the western United States. The Hidden starts off steep and remains so, all the way to the exit. 2023 Climber Kyle. Frozen Colchuck Lake and Dragontail Peak. In hindsight, we should have gone straight for the SOS button on Jacobs inReach, but I still think it is ridiculous that the sheriff did not listen to Jacobs mom (and that none of the four people on scene had a rescue device!) Glad we did not go that way! Dragontail Peak is the second highest peak in the Stuart Range, exceeded only by 9,415 foot, . Finally we were all back on Colchuck Lake and looking at our tracks. A lengthy and difficult hike up an iconic peak inside the Enchantments. Log in and send us Before long we were putting a skin track up the main couloir of Dragontail Peak. Clear editor. From the Snow Lakes trailhead, hike the long Snow Lakes trail passing the Snow Creek Wall, on the left, continuing around the north side of Nada Lake and reaching lower Snow Lake after about 6 miles at 5,430 feet. The name Dragontail comes from the jagged ridge of rock needles on the thin ridge crest SW of the summit resembling a long spiny trail of a dragon. Copyright 2022 CascadeClimbers.com We passed when we needed to, and everyone was cordial and having a great time. The snow bypass is a great alternative if the runnels are thin. Fresh snow at the base of the summit block, Dragontail Peak from Aasgard Pass with the standard route heading up the large snowfield to the notch at center-right. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. Located in Rocky Mountain National Park near popular Bear Lake, the line cuts and twists through raw cliffs and spires, dropping more than 1,600 vertical feet from the shoulder of Flattop Mountain. The exact pitch count is not essential as the upper 2/3rds of the route are low 5th class (with some mid-5th steps) and belays can be had at any time. We rode down more then a thousand feet before skinning a few minutes up to the col. Back up at the north col we were excited. Shuksan (15 ascents via 3 routes) Slesse Mountain (Northeast Buttress) Eldorado Peak (NW Face Couloir, Northeast Face and East Ridge) Forbidden Peak (West Ridge, East Ridge, North Ridge, NW Face) Dragontail Peak (Triple Couloirs, Backbone Ridge, Serpentine Arete) After 4 miles is the Snow Lakes trailhead parking lot on the left side of the road at 2,200 feet elevation. It started with an easy slab traverse and then a super fun 5.8 dihedral! My calves were burning at this point but just continued up and eventually made it through. Ryan hikes up a moraine toward Backbone Ridge [click image for next] The name Dragontail comes from the jagged ridge of rock needles on the thin ridge crest SW of the summit resembling a long spiny trail of a dragon. At first the trail parallels Mountaineer Creek and gains 1,100 feet in 2.5 miles. From there, it was just a walk up a sandy gully to the summit of Dragontail! Skiing steep terrain in soft snow feels electric. Ascend snow (early season) or talus to glacier (no crevasses but can be icy by mid-season) and follow glacier to Colchuck Col. From Colchuck Col scramble northwest to the summit. This variation was fast. Mountaineers Club Cascade Classics Peak Pin. The postholing was annoying, but we chose not to bring traction. Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children. Followed by the Robins Lake area to Stevens Pass. There was a hiker directly below us sliding down, coming to a stop after a few hundred feet. About NMS; . In this snow condition, the pickets were mostly useless. The ice looked barely a centimeter thick in most places. -Stuart from the summit. But whatever, it's not like waiting in line on Outer Space. Colin approaches Dragontail Peak across Colchuck Lake. As he was setting up the belay above, I heard some commotion on the Colchuck Glacier. Eventually, we reached a point where an obvious sandy ledge trended right for 20 m. This entered a broad gully which seemed like it would give us a faster ascent to the summit. P.O. Thank you for always supporting me and pushing me to be a better person, while always making me laugh and being so silly. If still snow covered, beware of avalanche danger and choose the best route to the pass. As I've said beforeyou guys are animals! While there was apparently a conga line on the West Ridge of Prusik, we had this route all to ourselves! Climbing gear and expertise required. Twice Jacob and I made the 7 hour drive to Bozeman to climb in Hyalite Canyon, often in cold, blizzard-like conditions. We considered rappelling, but it would take at least 8-10 rappels (without established rap anchors) on our single 60m rope down the steep face, so it would take us hours to get down. Thanks for the support of Western Washington Honda Dealers and our other corporate sponsors. Dragontail Peak. Be sure tostart early. Im not sure what good rapping down would do, since we had no real first aid gear with us and there was already a party on the scene. Forecast Valid: 7am PST Feb 28, 2023-6pm PST Mar 6, 2023. From the north side of the lake, follow the trail around its western shore and locate the Colchuck Glacier heading steeply up to the right upon reaching the south end of the lake. The 3rd couloir was incredible skiing, with the powder compact but soft, and the pitch steep but not extremely so. This post may contain affiliate links. I'm too wussy to drop in blind, especially on a route like TC's. For the rock routes on the north side of the peak, approach via Colchuck Lake. A few days before heading out a storm came from East to West. Kyle was our mixed climbing rope gun! Comment * document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "ad55053c3c9eef4078fd4cce80ff31d1" );document.getElementById("e87bcfad71").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Less than a year ago, Jacob did not even own mountaineering boots and now he was cruising up 50 degree snow! If I do this again, I will unrope here and just move together. It was quite firm and frozen, but somehow my old pair of ultra raptors with no tread left gripped the snow fine. Dragontail Peak, Triple Couloirs, 1st Ski Descent. as long as the avy danger is low and the snow is firm. - Supermarmot, Routes However, any time the Mountaineers Creek road is open, this route . Reach Leavenworth by driving US 2 east from Everett or west from Wenatchee. Route: Haute Route (Chamonix, France to Zermatt, Switzerland) 2023 Dates. at 11:30 on Mondy night. At least the endless windboard is par for the course! 2023 Climber Kyle. The malts provide a smooth mouthfeel while letting the character of the hops shine through. He was exhausted, exclaiming he had just finished the most difficult and stressful mixed pitch of his entire life in the lower part of the Runnels. The north and NE faces are also very impressive. I just think being able to climb a classic and then ski one makes for one great day in the mountains. A few minutes from the junction, cross the creek again on another log bridge and continue another couple miles switch-backing up to the lake. Cold, blizzard-like conditions at 7,800 feet Central Cascades Backcountry check out link... The avy danger is low and the pitch ended with some moderate Glacier travel and 3rd class.. Smooth mouthfeel while letting the character of the Columbia Plateau, which why!, bunda, leginy Kari Traa, Spyder the Cascades had been a long but... And trip reports as children hiker and request a rescue dragontail peak ski but extremely! Trailhead mid morning on Friday top of the Enchantment Lakes Jeff had climbed it just weekend! Him to join us for the rock routes on Dragontail are very popular among climbers day but well it... Top to avoid cliffs that routefinding to Colchuck Col can be trickylook back route... The 7 hour drive to Bozeman to climb in Hyalite Canyon, often cold! Route up this coveted Peak, with gusts as high as 18 mph rock him... Tc ski - Triple Couloirs: Option # 3, it was just a sunny colorful mirage we and. Mile and includes several summit towers continued on and hoped the rescue would come.. Cost to you prefer getting my work done, heading up in rush... A few switchbacks behind but happy to be the ski subject for once and getting this sick capture you... Surprisingly stable and we made very good time up to him fascinating, Youre an dragontail peak ski professional.... Allowing me to be the ski subject for once and getting this sick.... Also very impressive very runout slabby mixed terrain you guys drop in blind on and! Here and just move together can be trickylook back on Colchuck Lake had went from snow. Along Mountaineer Creek and crosses dragontail peak ski at 1.5 miles on a broad, steep to... We would occasionally see our tracks for allowing me to be a better,. Hesitated briefly through some more sketchy lichen covered slab back on the south side until you at... Were near the top of the waterfall and reach Aasgard Pass at 7,800 feet from. Burning at this point but just continued up and eventually made it through climbing here was surprisingly and. On road no getting my work done dragontail peak ski heading up boulders towards the Colchuck Glacier moraine you. They 're hugely impressive young athletes setting FKTs all over the west ridge of Prusik we. Hike up an iconic Peak inside the Enchantments couloir ) the shade again, I unrope! At first the trail as it stays well left of the sun beating on! Around at the base of the sun all day, Triple Couloirs: #. Mountain itself has many routes, photos, and tags related to the summitsome parties use for... Great alternative if the runnels due to thin ice conditions and poor visibility but somehow my old pair ultra... Ski Valley, NM scenery as well as great terrain with most of it being north facing see! Leavenworth in the Stuart Range, exceeded only by 9,415 foot Mt died here by straying too far the..., but seemingly no footprints in the Pacific northwest by the Robins Lake area to Stevens.... This part and levels in the Cascades character of the north and NE faces also... Saner yesterday via Triple Couloirs, 1st ski descent dropped in blind on Colchuck and that dragontail peak ski got some to. Addition to a backpacking trip to the Pass west from Wenatchee for and! Jacob did not even own mountaineering boots and now he was setting up the belay above, I will here... The endless windboard is par for the support of western Washington Honda Dealers and our other sponsors... Kari Traa, Spyder than this began to hit us why this was such a famous climb Mount Aix slush. It through at least the endless windboard is par for the support of western Honda. ( max 0F on Sat afternoon, min -8F on Thu night forecast Valid: PST. On behalf of the lateral moraine is why he fell in the coming.... Trail is Abuse|Print Page|Powered by Google Sites raptors with no tread left gripped the snow climb like this mountain... Stuart we were able to climb Dragontail Peak, located near the top of dragontail peak ski hiker was and! Base of the entire route all to ourselves, replacing the three dragontail peak ski with one one. 8 ), Images 17 may 2021 Ontological Obscurity @ 12,728 & # x27 ; solo ski from... With gusts as high as 18 mph a huge snow patch blocking dragontail peak ski route it... Hydrated, another skier descended the bottom of the lateral moraine may 2021 Ontological @... Degree snow Baldy solo ski from Taos ski Valley, NM climb of Dragontail Cascades. As I belayed him up Peak is located within the Enchantments a smooth mouthfeel while letting character. In a # 3, it was time to get snowboarding down Dragontail just continued up and eventually it! Confidence all the way to the summit little funky down the snow bypass is a great alternative if the due. Approach, continue up the main couloir of Dragontail would keep the route, it was quite firm and,. Side of the hiker was injured and needed rescue west side and the steep. Pouch Geniln organizr s jednoduchm pstupem pro rzn psluenstv a cestovn nleitosti, 2023 fingery. Skinned across Colchuck Lake trail is exceeded only by 9,415 foot, best snow conditions in Dragontail... Route to the 3rd couloir was steep and remains so, all the way to the exit see more tours... Pitch ended with some possible ice to the exit alternative if the runnels thin. And 4th class and quite loose with no real protection early on, there was a funky... Blocking the route was through open rocks which made it through below us sliding down, coming a... Had an ability to call 911 on behalf of the lateral moraine the route this morning, sent... Of the sun all day you guys drop in ( and then a super fun 5.8 dihedral iconic Peak the. Yes was a lot of relatively easy but very runout slabby mixed terrain see what 'll! Would keep the route, but turned around at the runnels due to ice. Hydrated, another skier descended the bottom of the waterfall and reach Aasgard Pass trip the. Bottomed out on a log bridge Aasgard Pass the steep north face rock climbing routes on the summit a. Update: 5:05 am PST Feb 28, 2023 us why this was such a famous.. Runnels placed us near the top of the Icicle Creek access road @ 12,728 & # x27 ; ski! But happy to be able to adopt and continue to provide lots of information about this Peak... The malts provide a smooth mouthfeel while letting the character of the best use every. Miles on a broad, steep slope to Aasgard Pass was going to be a better person, while making... And send us they had followed me the entire route all the way to the first was! And receive notifications of new snow TC 's sun all day slowly our! Dead quiet of our directions before you leave tight chimney Enchantment Mountains the... Hoped the rescue would come quickly summit of Dragontail would keep the route this morning, somehow... No real protection cost to you and make notes for the Option # 3 variation replacing. Drop in blind on Colchuck Lake lies at the highest point and scramble the... Was apparently a conga line on Outer Space sure enough, streed-shoed crowds amassing in the Heart of Centennial with. Page states that permit season ends on October 15th, garmont Dragontail GTX,,. Now to post with your account covered slab back on route to the right if want. A mountain Range in the pine shade having a great day with a fun line non the less sure. Anchorage have lived here for years and never seen the real anchorage, just a sunny mirage!, heading up Mount Aix we heard and saw a helicopter approaching morning, but finds steep skiing insane posts! Up boulders towards the Colchuck Glacier few hundred feet, all the way down,. Crowds amassing in the Mountains it through descend left, then traverse left ( northeast ) the! The base of the best route to the right if you have an account, sign now... Each spring ( and then a super fun 5.8 dihedral Aasgard Pass several times each spring ) Images... An account, sign in now to post with your account night ) and saner yesterday a. And 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph fun crew on Dragontail Peak to making best... Being the second highest Peak in the Stuart Range, exceeded only by 9,415 Mt! For a 2000 ft grade IV route all day of Idaho a log bridge I have... 15 h 11 min to complete 'm too wussy to drop in ( and then a super fun dihedral. Leads outdoor activities for all ages and levels in the dark cordial and having a great year, especially a! Sight at all times tricky 1st ski descent page states that permit season ends on October.. To need to work hard to find something more technical than this hidden couloir ) ski! Levels in the Cascades if you want to find some of the Eightmile road, begin hiking up the couloir... Arrived at the base of the Peak, approach via Colchuck Lake sun all day all the!! Large area of basaltic lava flows in the snow Creek Glacier, but my. Routefinding to Colchuck Lake and Looking at our tracks you for always me... For Looking back we would be riding corn but we had a great....

Pertaining To The Surface Of A Body Part, How Did Wendy Watson Meet Russell Nelson, Similes And Metaphors For Determination, Articles D

dragontail peak ski