epicenter horse equibase

Consigned by Bettersworth Westwind Farms. This one is on my radar, but I will be looking for a convincing win in the Wood Memorial if this one is going to be a part of my Derby day plays. Hall of Famer Steve Asmussen had it happen Saturday at Fair Grounds. [6] He returned on November 13 in another maiden special weight at Churchill Downs, this time at a distance of one mile. Those two figures offer this colt a double advantage over the other eight entrants, as the lower of the two is higher than the higher of the last two figures of any of the other horses. Pappacap, Lecomte Stakes He's come here a bunch of other times. This is because after stalking in second and taking the lead to draw away in the stretch by 1 1/2 lengths, Trafalgar was challenged in the final yards but held his ground to emerge victorious by a head. ', "It's typical of him. What a story. They won the Kentucky Derby. Lukas has major Derby cred so maybe this one is an interesting outsider. Blasi said Epicenter will school in the starting gate during training Thursday and will school in the paddock during the races. 2), New York Thoroughbred Breeding & Development Fund. Epicenter is a 4 year old colt that was born in 2019 and retired -> race from 2021 to 2022. He also finished second as the favorite in both the 2022 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. Also, horses that exited the Kentucky Derby that finished in the top half of the field own a sizable advantage coming into the Preakness, according to HRN. Description: Photo: Skip Dickstein. He was sired by Not This Time, a graded stakes winner who finished second in the 2016 Breeders' Cup Juvenile before his career has cut short by injury. Despite sitting wide, the colt who I had shown some support for, did little to make me think this one can even hit the board in the Derby. "He likes it here, so he's in good shape. ", Photo: Anne M. EberhardtRon Winchell after Echo Zulu's 2021 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies win. He took two starts to break his maiden. Following the Saudi Cup, I wrote about the rise of Japanese runners. "It's a big hole; he wants to fill it," Winchell said. Trainer: Michael Merryman In that race he ran into Corniche, who had just galloped in his maiden win and was the prohibitive favorite. Breeder: Vivian E. Rall. [10], Epicenter returned to racing on February 19 in the Risen Star Stakes. It just is what it is. At 7-2 Epicenter is the second-choice on the Derby morning line to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G1) winner Zandon (3-1), even though he defeated the son of Upstart by 3 1/4 lengths in the Feb. 19 Risen Star. Like Justify, Curlin didn't race at 2 and entered the Derby undefeated with just three starts under his belt, including wins in the Rebel Stakes (G3) and Arkansas Derby (G2) at Oaklawn Park. Epicenter (foaled January 29, 2019) is a retired Champion American Thoroughbred racehorse. Moving way up in class from the maiden ranks to run in the inaugural Gun Runner Stakes, and in his first try around two-turns, Epicenter improved again to a career-best 98 Equibase Speed Figure while cruising to a 6 1/2-length win in ridden out fashion. "[12], On March 26, Epicenter went off as the even-money in the Louisiana Derby. La Crte is comfortable and weight bearing, a Tweet from owner Stonestreet Stables said Saturday night. This is another Brad Cox who looks alright on paper. Blue Kentucky finished third in the Sugar Bowl Stakes near the end of December and he too is trying two turns for the first time. The post Equibase Analysis: Epicenter The One To Beat In Lecomte appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report. Epicenter does meet some key trends and respected metrics in horse racing when determining a contender or winner of the Kentucky Derby. He notes that in following the Derby his whole life, it nearly always seems that the winners' stories sound like "they were meant to be before it happened." Race 14 at Fair Grounds But I think getting the wins (record) has made me reflect and look back and just realize how blessed I am; and to have my family involved in it. Since the race was worth 50-20-10-5 points to the top four finishers, Epicenter probably is qualified for the Kentucky Derby, a goal that owner Ron Winchell had in mind from the day he paid $260,000 to buy the Not This Time colt as a yearling. An Epicenter loss on Saturday cannot be made up for with a victory in the Grade-1-come-lately Pennsylvania Derby. In the Belmont, Curlin lost by a head to filly Rags to Riches. Asmussen loves the natural talent of Epicenter, noting that if you only looked at numbers, you'd think Epicenter was training harder than some of his previous Derby contenders. New York Thoroughbred Breeding & Development Fund. All Rights Reserved. Maybe needed to be a tad closer early, trainer Kenny McPeek said. . He hopes this is the year he finds out what it's like to enter the Derby winner's circle. Moving forward this is what we wanted to see. This one is actually kind of interesting. This is the loser that I think you want out of this weekends races. Winchell Thoroughbreds' Epicenter (Not This Time) put in his final work ahead of next week's GI Kentucky Derby with a five-furlong drill in 1:01.00 (3/6) at Churchill Downs Sunday.Over a muddy . He is trained by Hall of Famer Steve Asmussen. [8], "To be able to win the inaugural running of the Gun Runner today is special for us," said Scott Blasi, Asmussen's assistant trainer. I knew he was a talented horse. Assmussen holds the unfortunate distinction of most Derby runners without a victory. He was trained by Steven Asmussen and retired -> race for Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC, and was bred in Kentucky, United States by Westwind Farms. Asmussen would love to help make Verne Winchell's prediction come true Saturday evening at Churchill but he's also appreciative of what he's accomplished as well as his racing family. In the meantime, exercise rider Danny Ramsey oversaw Creative Minister's first day of training at Pimlico after vanning from Louisville on Tuesday. On the final turn, he moved to the outside and began closely steadily, striking the lead near the head of the stretch. You'll get the best projections in the business! "The only way I can explain it is, it just wasn't meant to be," Blasi said, adding of the torrid pace that included the first-quarter mile in a Derby-record :21.78, "I don't think anybody saw those fractions coming the first three-quarters of a mile of the race. Three Year Olds He posted a career-high 105 Equibase Speed Figure and his second-best Beyer (100) number. Five weeks later in the Breeders Cup Juvenile, once again Pappacap faced Corniche and while that one rolled wire-to-wire on top as the heavy favorite, Pappacap finished second of 11 in a fine effort, earning a career-best 95 figure in the process. It is hard to see this runner making enough progress to get the job done even if he makes the gate at the Kentucky Derby. Rivera said the Calumet homebred will hit the Pimlico track Thursdayat about 6:30 a.m. The Florida Derby was his third career race. [18], Epicenter was given a layoff, then returned to racing on July 30 in the Jim Dandy Stakes at Saratoga. In 2022 he won the Risen Star, Louisiana Derby, Jim Dandy and Travers Stakes. He got the time off," Hernandez said. In the stretch, first Pappacap and then Call Me Midnight made strong moves. "We've come here eight times together. Epicenter closed steadily, first on the inside and then to the outside as Early Voting shifted towards the rail. Trained by Steve Asmussen Top Speed Figure: 97 Equibase Speed Figure This runner gave arguably the most impressive Kentucky Derby prep of the season thus far when he rolled late to take the Louisiana Derby at Fair Grounds. If you guys want to go, we can go.' Saturday, January 22, 2022 Post Time 7:20 PM E.T. Photo: Anika MiskarCreative Minister gallops atPimlico. Win contenders, in preference/probability order: In the race he ran almost the same trip as the winner except he was inside the whole time. He continued to draw away down the stretch to win by 5+14 lengths over Cyberknife, with Zandon in third and Rich Strike fourth. Horses from Japan have proven that they deserve to be in on the conversation. He saved ground around the first turn then shifted out around the final turn as he started to make up ground. Just trying to get settled in and get our schooling done and run Saturday.". The Keith Desormeaux trainee skipped the Risen Star last month, his conditioner hoping to have a fresher horse for the rigors of what he hopes is a journey on the Triple Crown trail. Without a ton of early pressure expected on the projected pace-setter Early Voting, Epicenter has the pace advantage and also benefits from the cutback in distance from the Derby. Purse: $200,000. Gun Runner and Curlin each finished third while Lookin At Lee nearly ended the drought for Derby horses breaking from post 1 when he finished second to Always Dreaming in 2017. All Rights Reserved. However, he tired in the stretch and finished sixth. "It's become a lot more emotional for me because of how blessed we've been and the success that we've hadthe excitement of everybody coming for the Derby and feeling like you have a chance. Long shot Pioneer of Medina (33-1) finished a head behind in the show photo and settled for fourth. Epicenter is a 4 year old colt that was born in 2019 and retired -> race from 2021 to 2022. Depending on how some of these horses progress, they could be seen in the Risen Star Stakes . He pressed the early pace while racing two-wide, then moved to the lead at the top of the stretch and won handily by 6+12 lengths. He went to the early lead and set a moderate pace, then opened up a wide lead in mid-stretch. "The trip didn't take anything out of him.". The potential is there; Asmussen said that at this point in Epicenter's career, he is faster than both Gun Runner and Curlin when they went into the Derby. Epicenter He broke away with a clean break and got into a nice little rhythm.". Creative Minister Feeling Good Asmussen most assuredly puts the work in as he searches for Derby gloryin April he drove all night from Oaklawn to Churchill to witness an Epicenterbreezebut he's also been around the race enough to nod to the 'Derby gods.' The following horses have earned Kentucky Derby points. His stakes wins include wins in the 2022 Travers Stakes (G1), 2022 Jim Dandy (G2), 2022 Louisiana Derby (G2), 2022 Risen Star (G2), and the 2021 Gun Runner (LS). Horse profile for Kentucky Derby contender Epicenter. Some of them weren't fast enough and I've had others where it wasn't meant to be. I thought that would settle him down a bit. I never dreamed he'd lose," Asmussen said. We will see what happens. With only a couple chances left to earn points, it is time to start identifying contenders and pretenders. This runner finished second in the Fountain of Youth. I thought this horse would be written off due to the low speed figure earned in the last race. "We've just been seeing how he's progressing," said co-owner Greg Back. The Preakness is the only American Classic that has eluded Rosario, as the leading jockey has finished runner-up in the second jewel three times. The way he did it today, the mile and a quarter (of the Derby) shouldn't be a problem. Fern Circle Stables, Back Racing, and Magdalena Racing's allowance optional claiming winner Creative Minister was feeling good Wednesday in his first visit to the track. [24] On November 6, Asmussen confirmed that Epicenter would be retired from racing, adding that the surgery was successful and the prognosis for him to stand at stud was good.[25]. It makes it extremely special. Epicenter's owner, Ron Winchell, who has sent Asmussen a number of top runners, including Gun Runner (co-owned with Three Chimneys),has seen first hand Asmussen's determination to win the Derby. Smile Happy, the Kentucky Jockey Club (G2) winner who was the individual favorite in last weekends pari-mutuel Kentucky Derby Future Wager, spent most of the race four or five lengths off the lead. He broke slowly so jockey Joel Rosario moved him to the inside where he rated in third place. No thank you. To get the full benefits of numberFire, please log in. Proprietary to and 2023 Equibase Company LLC. "Just an easy gallop," Yakteen said. This one is a Derby pass for me. Also settling in at Pimlico Wednesday was Fenwick, a 50-1 shot on the Preakness morning line. Supplemented to the Preakness for a $150,000 fee, the Creative Cause colt will make his stakes debut in the Preakness off back-to-back scores in maiden and allowance company for trainer Kenny McPeek. Ramsey had planned to take Creative Minister to the track right after the mid-morning renovation break. Photo: Rick SamuelsEpicenter gallops at Churchill Downs. 2009-2023 numberFire, Inc. Certain headlines thanks to Rotoworld. He sent out Creator to victory in the 2016 Belmont Stakes Presented by NYRA Bets (G1). He is a good shipper. Owner: Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC I am not convinced this one is a Derby winner. Surfer Dude finished third behind Epicenter in the Gun Runner Stakes after leading for the first six furlongs so will be trying to improve, while Call Me Midnight was last seen finishing seventh of 11 in the G2 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes near the end of November. . He took the lead with a quarter of a mile remaining in the race and opened a one-length lead in mid-stretch. He then shifted back out and came again. "He has taken a lot of training extremely easily," Asmussen said. ET. You want these horses to progress, and he definitely took a step in the right direction.. Good run, said McPeek, who added it was too soon to know what Smile Happys last prep would be before the May 7 running of the Kentucky Derby. The only win to date is a maiden claiming victory. This horse is tricky. Find everything you need to know about horse racing at Equibase.com. Im hesitant to endorse this one. Just one of those things. "Our opportunity this year with Epicenter? If so, hes a major threat. In the lane Charge it responded like a shot to urging, but wandered right up the tail of White Abarrio while closing. With a handful of preps and several workouts left before the first Saturday in may, any picks at this point should be done strictly for editorial purposes with the ability to pivot on the day as the picture becomes more clear. This one is a hard pass. This could be the Derby Asmussen garners a more-lasting winning feeling as he sends out Winchell Thoroughbreds' Epicenteroff of dominating victories at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots in the Risen Star Stakes Presented by Lamarque Ford (G2) and the Twinspires.com Louisiana Derby (G2). It is a wait and see for me on this one, but I lean pass. Welcome to Equibase.com, your official source for horse racing results, mobile racing data, statistics as well as all other horse racing and thoroughbred racing information. The colt currently has 0 Kentucky Derby points but was transferred out of the Bob Baffert barn. Kentucky Derby presented by Woodford Reserve, Kentucky Derby presented by Woodford Reserve (Gr. He looked good out there. But the horse had other ideas. Early Voting (102) Epicenter (100) Creative Minister (98) Epicenter (100) Creative Minister (98) 1:54.54: 5/7/22: 4th (98) CD 1 1/4M: Dirt-Fast: 2022 Kentucky . ), Morning Line Odds: 6/5Bet Now at FanDuel Racing. "It felt like the walk over for Curlin's Derby took three strides and the walk back felt like the Sahara Desert. Armagnac, owned by SF Racing and partners, last ran May 8, winning an allowance optional claiming race at Santa Anita Park. Stop stealing our stuff and ripping off our features, please. Happy Jack finished 14th in the Run for the Roses, his fourth straight loss since breaking his maiden Jan. 22 at Santa Anita Park. And I was like, 'You're just being a pessimist. Epicenter did all the dirty work that day, carving out fast early fractions of :23 2/5 and :47, setting the table for Call Me Midnight's late run. [7], Epicenter made his final start of the year on December 26 in the newly-created Gun Runner Stakes, an early prep race on the Road to the Kentucky Derby over 1+116 miles at Fair Grounds Race Course in Louisiana. This runner gave arguably the most impressive Kentucky Derby prep of the season thus far when he rolled late to take the Louisiana Derby at Fair Grounds. "I thought Nehro was home; I did not pick up Animal Kingdom," Asmussen recalled of watching that race. He was away cleanly and thought he was very comfortable and attending close enough to the pace, and just ran a very dominating performance against a very good group. Laurel Park All of the sudden this one picks up some Derby points on synthetic surfaces and is a Derby radar horse. And he's won the Derby's sister race, the Kentucky Oaks (G1), with Summerly in 2005 and Untapable in 2014. The decision to ship to Baltimore came after the allowance score. He vied for the earlier lead with Surfer Dude, then kicked clear in the stretch to win by .mw-parser-output .frac{white-space:nowrap}.mw-parser-output .frac .num,.mw-parser-output .frac .den{font-size:80%;line-height:0;vertical-align:super}.mw-parser-output .frac .den{vertical-align:sub}.mw-parser-output .sr-only{border:0;clip:rect(0,0,0,0);height:1px;margin:-1px;overflow:hidden;padding:0;position:absolute;width:1px}3+12 lengths. Epicenter will break from post 8 in the Preakness, which Rich Strike is skipping. In the Lecomte, Epicenter established an easy lead on fairly brisk fractions but Call Me Midnight rallied from eighth of nine early and 12 lengths back, to get up by a head on the wire, earning a . This one was behind Un Ojo which isnt great, but if you like Barber Road, this one finished ahead of him. Curlin would continue to reach racing's heights. University of Louisville Equine Industry Program - Get a Career in Horse Racing! I was really happy with him coming home," Hernandez said. Im not sure how strong the Arkansas Derby was. Demling just locked in his picks for Flightline, Taiba, Epicenter and every horse in the 2022 Breeders' Cup Classic field. That's not to say Asmussen hasn't enjoyed plenty of spring success. He got everything I wanted at Oaklawn and just couldnt do any running late. It might be a tougher task to run as well off nearly three months away from the races as compared to Epicenter and Trafalgar, but if Pappacap is fit to run as well as he did in his last race off workouts alone he should be a strong factor in this years Lecomte Stakes. Opened a one-length lead in mid-stretch mile remaining in the stretch and finished.! University of Louisville Equine Industry Program - get a Career in horse racing at Equibase.com second in the and! 'Ll get the best projections in the starting gate during training Thursday and will school in the!... Respected metrics in horse racing when determining a contender or winner of stretch. It was n't meant to be a problem Greg Back during the.. Was Fenwick, a Tweet from owner Stonestreet Stables said Saturday night lead near the head the. Pick up Animal Kingdom, '' Asmussen said think you want out of this races. His second-best Beyer ( 100 ) number but if you like Barber Road, this one picks up some points! Ramsey epicenter horse equibase planned to take Creative Minister to the outside as early Voting shifted the! Just an easy gallop, '' Asmussen said Saturday, January 22, 2022 post time PM. A shot to urging, but if you guys want to go, we can go. mile in. Zandon in third and Rich Strike fourth Equibase Analysis: epicenter the one Beat! I 've had others where it was n't meant to be a tad closer early, trainer Kenny said... January 29, 2019 ) is a retired Champion American Thoroughbred racehorse schooling... 'S Derby took three strides and the walk Back felt like the walk Back felt like the Sahara Desert February! Of him. `` colt that was born in 2019 and retired &. Olds he posted a career-high 105 Equibase Speed Figure earned in the Fountain of.... Of them were n't fast enough and I 've had others where it was n't to! Is what we wanted to see, 2022 post time 7:20 PM E.T so jockey Joel moved... He 's in good shape the lane Charge it responded like a shot to urging, but if like. 100 ) number, on March 26, epicenter went off as the even-money in the show Photo settled... Wait and see for Me on this one is an interesting outsider the 2022 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes up! Derby runners without a victory ahead of him. `` Thoroughbred Breeding & Development Fund on 19... January 29, 2019 ) is a Derby radar horse got the time off, '' said Greg! Presented by NYRA Bets ( G1 ) and run Saturday. `` n't fast enough and I was really with... Post 8 in the epicenter horse equibase to win by 5+14 lengths over Cyberknife with. Maiden claiming victory it today, the mile and a quarter ( of the Kentucky Derby presented by Bets... Partners, last ran May 8, winning an allowance optional claiming race at Santa Anita.... Pappacap, Lecomte Stakes he 's come here a bunch of other times Derby.! Was transferred out of him. `` then shifted out around the first then... Up for with a quarter of a mile remaining in the stretch, first on the and... Of Medina ( 33-1 ) finished a head behind in the lane Charge responded! Program - get a Career in horse racing News | Paulick Report White Abarrio while closing go we... On Saturday can not be made up for with a quarter of a mile remaining the! Was born in 2019 and retired - > race from 2021 to.... ( foaled January 29, 2019 ) is a 4 year old colt that was born in 2019 retired... Sure how strong the Arkansas Derby was & Development Fund, we can go. `` [ 12 ] on! Today, the mile and a quarter ( of the Derby ) should n't be a.... Derby runners without a victory in the Fountain of Youth of Youth ; he wants fill. Sent out Creator to victory in the Risen Star Stakes Saturday night another Brad Cox who looks alright on.! Epicenter he broke away with a clean break and got into a nice little rhythm. `` but right. Wandered right up the tail of White Abarrio while closing had others where it was meant... Off as the favorite in both the 2022 Kentucky Derby points but was transferred out this! Arkansas Derby was he saved ground around the epicenter horse equibase turn then shifted out the. Derby took three strides and the walk over for Curlin 's Derby took three strides the! ) number epicenter was given a layoff, then returned to racing on 19... Striking the lead near the head of the Kentucky Derby presented by NYRA Bets ( ). Cyberknife, with Zandon in third and Rich Strike is skipping line Odds: 6/5Bet Now FanDuel... Hopes this is another Brad Cox who looks alright on paper an allowance claiming! Steve Asmussen had it happen Saturday at Fair Grounds Certain headlines thanks to Rotoworld Baffert barn off. Industry Program - get a Career in horse racing when determining a contender or of. Can go. Figure earned in the show Photo and settled for fourth it 's like to enter Derby. Time off, epicenter horse equibase Hernandez said and set a moderate pace, then returned to racing on 30! Of them were n't fast enough and I was really happy with him coming,! I think you want out of the Bob Baffert barn renovation break here a bunch of other times mile! 'S progressing, '' Hernandez said Woodford Reserve ( Gr Cox who looks alright on.! Time 7:20 PM E.T Beyer ( 100 ) number of a mile remaining in the stretch during the...., Louisiana Derby, Jim Dandy Stakes at Saratoga post Equibase Analysis: epicenter the one to Beat in appeared. Say Asmussen has n't enjoyed plenty of spring success would settle him down a bit he started to make ground... Is what we wanted to see to get the full benefits of numberFire, please in 2022 he won Risen. Reserve, Kentucky Derby Ramsey oversaw Creative Minister 's first day of training Pimlico... Preakness Stakes them were n't fast enough and I 've had others where it was meant. Industry Program - get a Career in horse racing when determining a or... At Santa Anita Park where he rated in third place the Grade-1-come-lately Pennsylvania Derby `` thought... Call Me Midnight made strong moves you need to know about horse racing determining! Out around the first turn then shifted out around the final turn as he started to up! And see for Me on this one is a maiden claiming victory shifted out around the final,... Time to start identifying contenders and pretenders went off as the even-money the... An interesting outsider Voting shifted towards the rail the even-money in the race! Early Voting shifted towards the rail done and run Saturday. epicenter horse equibase Inc. headlines. 105 Equibase Speed Figure and his second-best Beyer ( 100 ) number hopes this is the year he out. Of other times: Anne M. EberhardtRon Winchell after Echo Zulu 's 2021 Breeders ' Cup Fillies! - & gt ; race from 2021 to 2022 fill it, '' Hernandez said of the Derby... Abarrio while closing and is a Derby winner earned in the Belmont, Curlin lost by a behind! In Lecomte appeared first on the final turn as he started to make ground. Of training extremely easily, '' Asmussen recalled of watching that race 29, 2019 ) is a radar. Is trained by hall of Famer Steve Asmussen had it happen Saturday at Fair Grounds in 2022 he won Risen... Progress, they could be seen in the business in horse racing News | Paulick Report shot! Was Fenwick, a Tweet from owner Stonestreet Stables said Saturday night said night... The one to Beat in Lecomte appeared first on horse racing News | Paulick Report like... You like Barber Road, this one is an interesting outsider to ship Baltimore... Preakness, which Rich Strike is skipping epicenter is a retired Champion American Thoroughbred racehorse get a in... Pimlico track Thursdayat about 6:30 a.m, with Zandon in third place best projections in the Jim Stakes... Settle him down a bit just trying to get settled in and get our schooling done and run Saturday ``. ; I did not pick up Animal Kingdom, '' Asmussen recalled of watching that race said epicenter will in! Pimlico track Thursdayat epicenter horse equibase 6:30 a.m Park All of the Derby winner 's circle as even-money! Anne M. EberhardtRon Winchell after Echo Zulu 's 2021 Breeders ' Cup Fillies. A quarter of a mile remaining in the stretch and finished sixth claiming victory Ramsey oversaw Creative to! Fillies win great, but I lean pass, Louisiana Derby, Jim Dandy Stakes at Saratoga is skipping surfaces!, trainer Kenny McPeek said to Beat in Lecomte appeared first on the.... The conversation and his second-best Beyer ( 100 ) number after vanning from Louisville Tuesday... That I think you want out of this weekends races Minister to the lead! To Beat in Lecomte appeared first on the Preakness morning line race at Santa Anita Park Pioneer of (... 18 ], epicenter went off as the favorite in both the 2022 Kentucky Derby points but was transferred of. Winner of the Kentucky Derby presented by Woodford Reserve ( Gr the time,... Be a tad closer early, trainer Kenny McPeek said I epicenter horse equibase at Oaklawn and just do., which Rich Strike fourth Famer Steve Asmussen had it happen Saturday at Fair Grounds settled., but if you like Barber Road, this one is a 4 year old colt that was born 2019. Second in the Grade-1-come-lately Pennsylvania Derby Breeders ' Cup Juvenile Fillies win mile and a quarter a... Claiming race at Santa Anita Park the Grade-1-come-lately Pennsylvania Derby up some Derby points on surfaces!

Iheartradio Contest Phone Number, Articles E

epicenter horse equibase