fuel stops katherine to broome

(Image: Tourism NT/Jason Charles Hill). Travelling through Australias outback is one of the most unique road trips Ive ever done. We got a discount at IGA for staying there. These are 100% owned and operated by Indigenous people, so you can feel good about supporting the local economy. knowing this was our last fuel stop for a while so made it to the Caltex for 50.3L @ 179.9c/L - after being told this was the only place in town with Diesel left! These types of campgrounds are good if youre on a budget, or if you have a vehicle thats great at keeping out bugs and mosquitos. A roadhouse basically is a fuel station with add-ons.   Find out more, Could you please tell me if it is possible to do the Gibb River Road with dual fuel as opposed to diesel? The Bungle Bungle Ranges date back approximately 350 million years. Estimated Fuel Cost: . Road conditions from Katherine to Broome. Search flights. Before going into this road trip guide from Darwin, NT to Broome, WA Im going to go into some specifics about the trip. Know what to expect when travelling long distances across WA. The drive from Mimbi Caves area to Broome changes a lot from the rest of this road trip. Your email address will not be published. Cool off among red escarpments at Edith Falls. Note: saltwater crocodiles are in all Judbarra/Gregory National Park waterways be crocwise and do NOT swim! Fishing, canoeing and boating is permitted, but be aware of crocodiles. Standing on the rim of this 880-metre-wide meteorite crater is quite an incredible sight, especially at sunrise and sunset. Make sure to stock up on groceries and fuel before leaving Katherine. Start your morning with a light breakfast at Finch Cafe before heading five minutes south to Katherine Hot Springs. (Image: Tourism Western Australia). The Port Hedland to Broome drive is one of the longest and most laborious legs of the drive up Australias west coast. You shouldn't have any problems finding a place to stay. After leaving the tropical city of Darwin, head south along the Stuart Highway towards Katherine, stopping at the pandanus-fringed Edith Falls located on the west side of Nitmiluk National Park for a dip along the way. Stop at the hot springs in Katherine on the way out if you can too, before reaching Judburra / Gregory National Park and camping at Bullita Campground. It's only available in the towns and in the main roadhouses along the highway. Leaving Timber Creek, theres a few different options for stops before hitting the WA border. As for the G2G PASS, this is another government document where its illegal to lie. Fossilised remnants are visible in its limestone walls. Katherine is a great stop for this lag of the journey, as its the final stop for a major grocery store before Kununurra. Travelling across WA by road is one of the best ways to see the state. Lombardi Cancer Center. Australian Traveller Media 2023. After moving to Australia on a Working Holiday visa, I felt there was a lack of information for people in my situation. The drive is lush and green, there's a few different stops for fuel, but don't wait to long to fill up. Points of Interest: Low Tide at Derby Jetty Watch the ebb and flow of the highest tides in Australia from the Derby Jetty. I enjoyed staying there because it was the wet season and I was happy to shower and use a laundry machine. Or maybe that was just my relief from waiting months to finally get in? With the network that already spans across Australia we are continuously opening new sites based on your feedback. When I first heard about the Kimberley I didnt understand what or where it was. This is a sacred Aboriginal site with interpretive signs at its base. Kunanurra show is on the 13th 14th July. Today's average fuel price for ULP 91 in Broome is $1.82 per litre with prices holding. Nurdoo 143km. Note that there is a 24 hour quarantine station at the WA border and a lot of food items cannot be carried in. But, its still possible to see amazing landscapes and have a great experience. Broome is undoubtedly beautiful and lives up the hype. The only Alice to Uluru itinerary youll ever need, 8 tips for travelling (& surviving) the outback as a family, How to have the ultimate couples adventure in the Top End, How to keep the family happy on a holiday in the Top End, How families can spend a fun 7 or 14 days in the Red Centre, Alice to Darwin: A Guide On The Best Road Trip. Looking back at all of these drive times I know for sure I took longer. > 5. I did the earliest cruise in the morning so we finished just as it was getting hot, and there was a huge buffet breakfast included! While you should have phone reception in most major towns, other areas of this road trip will have sketchy connections. Broome offers glorious sunset cruises, camel rides, mud-crabbing experiences and dinosaur adventure tours. Fuel calculations start from Perth WA, Australia and end at Broome WA 6725, Australia. The best time to plan your trip on the Stuart Highway is from May to September (Australian winter) . Image by @gregoryan (shared with permission). The picnic areas surrounding these areas are quite overgrown, but its still nice to get out and stretch your legs. Or, if youre really feeling energetic, do the Jatbula Trail, which is the only way to access many parts of the national park. At Halls Crossing while parked opposite IGA. This makes it really easy to see whats open or not, without committing to driving all the way up towards the national park. Its less than an hour drive from the lake to Kununurra so its easy to get there early. Jabiru to Katherine Depart this morning and head south for Katherine. If you missed the many rubbish bins along the highway before the border, you can declare these items at the border. Im lucky my partner loves driving more than I do, because staring out the window in the Kimberley for hours was something Ill never regret. Usually by small cabins or units close by the other camping area. Showing up the day of might mean everything its fully bookedor its closed. It evens out quite a bit, theres fewer hills and rocky mountains, instead trees take over the landscape. Theres a few different options for campgrounds and general accommodation. With special emphasis on Aboriginal communities and culture.A must have if you travel to or from Alice Springs/Uluru. If youre wanting to see more, try going on a tour. We were there show weekend but found a CP site in the first park we tried. Upon arrival, have an early dinner at the Croc Stock Shop. I want to do the entire route with my brother who is living Explore the best of Australia and find your perfect getaway. Not just because of the bugs, but with the dust and dirt, the windshield often becomes a smorgasbord of substances that makes it tough to see clearly. If you're planning a holiday to Broome, we've put together the ultimate 7-Day Perth to Broome road trip guide with a list of unmissable stops. Head south-east towards Australias largest (and arguably most wild) national park: Kakadu National Park. I also did the river cruise in the morning which is close by. Cheers. Larrawa Station is about 140km away from Fitzroy Crossing, and a similar distance from Halls Creek, and given its almost smack bang in the middle of Broome and Kununurra it makes for a great place to stop while doing the long drive. Copyright 2006-var d=new Date() Broken Clouds. The Katherine to Kununurra distance is 535 km and should take around 5 hours and 40 minutes if you drive straight through. Here you will find a variety of locally made jewellery, Aboriginal artwork, and items for sale including gold nuggets, maps and postcards. Explore the surrounding area on foot and discover the large variety of flora and fauna that inhabits the area. Once youre back on the road, theres another hike at Mirrai lookout, the facilities here are well-maintained but theres more trees at this lookout than others. Its a popular boat launch area, where people head out fishing or just to enjoy a day with the crocs. Broome -Cape Leveque - 217Km nth of Broome 10. The Gibb River Road ends in the small town of Derby today, located on the edge of King Sound, its streets lined with boab trees. Alice Springs to WA Border -740km (Via Tanami Hwy) 12. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or join our group Holiday Park recommendations Australia. These are also the only two stops with major grocery store on this road trip guide aside from Darwin and Broome. Get the latest travel news, reviews, offers and more, direct to your inbox. Top up on petrol and supplies before leaving El Questro and head west along the Gibb River Road, stopping at the Cockburn Ranges Lookout for a spectacular view of the 600-metre-high sandstone escarpment. Enter your email and name, join 73.476 newsletter subscribers (free) and get your free Kimberley Pocket Guide! You can also find some cool day trips or get away for a weekend. you can get answers personalized for your tastes, budgets, Windjana Gorge is a natural wonder. When its finally time to exit the park, start heading south to the Katherine. Just down the road is Nanguluwurr Art Site, and whilst its a 4WD-recommended track, I made it in a 2WD in the wet season. If you have found this site helpful, please book TOURS and ACCOMMODATION through our booking partners. Accommodation options include Bungle Bungle Savannah Lodge or Bungle Bungle Caravan Park. 7 Day Itinerary: Broome to Kununurra - 1,064 klms Day 1 - Broome to Derby . Between Kunanurra and Katherine we free camped. This sprawling landscape is a natural wonderland of deep gorges, soaring mountains, hot springs, mud and salt flats, lush rainforests and waterfalls. If you havent yet, head to Ubirr Rock Art site, then pop over before heading south to the next end of Kakadu. For short walks, theres the 800m return Derdbe-gerring Banan Trail which goes up to multiple lookouts, it can be steep in places. The FREE Kimberley Pocket GuideA great introduction to travel in the Kimberley region and along the Gibb. stay for about 1 hour and leave at 1:54 pmdrive for about 4 hours, Timber Creek Hope someone can suggest a few places. Its almost the last day this outback touring and the thrills arent over yet. This is also where you turn off for Cape Keraudren, a lovely spot for fishing and crabbing on the Indian Ocean. Time from Eighty Mile Beach: 3 Hours 50 Minutes. Spend the day exploring Nitmiluk National Park, home to 13 dramatic gorges that rise up from Katherine River. The best road trip stops on the way are Cape Keraudren, Eighty Mile Beach and Eco Beach. If youre travelling with our modern-day COVID regulations, it is mandatory to apply for a G2G PASS to enter the state. Check out my guide on driving through Northern Australia during the wet season for specifics during this time of year. The road trip guide from Darwin, Northern Territory (NT) to Broome, Western Australia (WA) is filled with some of my favourite views of Australia. This section of the road trip from Darwin, NT to Broome, WA becomes more isolated, especially in terms of finding accommodation. Upon arrival, we suggest having a snack before visiting the Geikie Gorge National Park, 20 minutes north of Fitzroy Crossing. The hills are a deep red, and they seem to move with you on the drive to the lake. We had no problems. Drive safelypreferably not in the darkand dont take your vehicle somewhere unsafe and remote if youre ill prepared. Start your morning with a light breakfast at Finch Cafe before heading five minutes south to Katherine Hot Springs. Make the drive to Katherine before the days out and spend the night at true-blue outback Daly Waters Historic Pub, which has powered and unpowered sites, cabins and budget motel rooms. drive for about 6 hours, 3:54 pm Bungle Bungle National Park No really though, ridges grow from nowhere, trees cascade in all different directions and then comes the road to Lake Argyle. However, this road trip guide focuses on staying at Lake Argyleand you wont be disappointed. In Warnum the only accommodation and camping is the Warnum Roadhouse. This includes an average layover time of around 3h. Dont overbook yourself or plan for too many physical activities as you could get run down quickly due to the weather. Dont forget to explore the scenic walking tracks and stop for a picnic lunch along the way. The following calculations are based on a hypothetical average fuel efficiency of 6.8 litres per 100km, and petrol at around $1.50 per litre. Join a scenic cruise, swim at rock pools and waterfalls, hire a canoe to paddle the gorges, take a helicopter flight to see the landscape from above, or join a local Indigenous guide for a presentation on Jawoyn culture. Find local inspiration and start planning your next road trip with our simple interactive journey planner. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); the ultimate 10 day road trip Darwin to Broome sounds perfect. Check out our website here, or download our android / itunes app. The most we every did was 400 km, lowest about 50km. travelers and answer their questions about Katherine! So, youre not in the clear until 14 days after arriving to WA. The drive into Western Australia will take most of the day via the Victoria Highway so get an early start and make sure youre well-prepared for the drive with plenty of petrol and water. Mataranka Thermal Pool in Mataranka, on the Daly Waters to Katherine drive, Northern Territory. First off was a toilet stop and leg stretch at Sullivans Creek Rest Area . Rocks Discovery Museum review: Best free museum in Sydney? The gorge has several waterfall-fed pools, which are perfect for swimming and rock hopping. Just beware of the mozzies and other general bugs as theyre everywhere. Its good to do in the morning on a hot day as there isnt a lot of tree coverage on the trails. Image by @melissor (shared with permission). Start your day nice and early, knocking the drive over first thing this leaves you with the day to explore. LP gas is not easy to come by in the Kimberley once you leave the bitumen. Every time I drove by park rangers on the side of the road, they waved and smiled. Road conditions from Broome to Katherine. We did it a number of years ago, on a boat trip run by the National parks. I didnt find there was a lot to see or many places to stop for the first part of this day. Also in the area is Larrawa Station Nature Stay, which is a campground on a working cattle station. Theres so many different places to stay in Katherine, whether you have a high-end caravan in tow, or just a car. > 4. There are, however, a few stops along the way where you can break up the monotony. Katherine 30C. The Port Hedland to Broome drive in Western Australia is 604km long, with a driving time of around 6h6m. trip dates & more! Southwest of Katherine, the Giwining/Flora River Nature Park protects a section of the Flora River and surrounding floodplain and savannah woodland. It's best to avoid travelling from December to March as this is the flood season for the tropical end of the territory. If Broome is the gateway to the Kimberley, then the Dampier Peninsula is the gateway to the Kimberley Coast.. Its surprising and impressive how quick they appear and then disappear, while driving. Accommodation ranges from camping to hotel-style rooms to the ultra-luxe El Questro Homestead, which is perched on a clifftop overlooking the Chamberlain River. Mud-crabbing experience. Some northern WA hills? Are there any Great Barrier Reef cruises from Sydney? Today youre off to the iconic Fitzroy Crossing. Overcast Clouds. Fitzroy Crossing has a varied past and a stop at the old settlement, which dates back to 1897 is a must. Bungle Bungle National Park (2 mentions) This does make it tougher to be spontaneous, but its important to have a safe place to sleep at night. Distance - 3,887.5 km (2,415 miles) Time - 7 to 10 days. I don't have a definitive, comprehensive list but Wubin, Dalwallinu, Paynes Find, Mount Magnet, Cue, Meekatharra, Kumarina, Newman, Auski, Marble Bar and Port Hedland all have fuel stops. You can also compare the travel time if you're flying or driving A number of our key Diesel Stop locations . (Image: Tourism Western Australia). And finally, respect the property and country of where youre travelling. Explore five World Heritage areas and spectacular northern Australia! Meaning you pay for one night and get two nights, and thats an amazing time to take advantage of this location. Upon arrival, we suggest visiting the Halls Creek Visitors Centre. Spend the afternoon at the Kununurra Museum, which showcases years of local history. The museum is run by passionate and dedicated volunteers who combined, have collected many historical objects including the skull of a skull of a 15-16 foot saltwater crocodile! Sometimes there are other road houses in between the listed fuel stops, sometimes not. Youre on the final stretch! How many people are killed by crocodiles in Australia. and answers related to Broome. The formula can be changed here. A satellite phone is recommended. Our sites are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Nearest town north: Katherine (344km) Nearest stop north: Alexander Forrest Memorial (125km) Situated on the banks of the Katherine River, the thermal springs comprise crystal clear pools surrounded by lush greenery and native vegetation. The natural thermal springs of Zebedee Springs soothe the soul. We had a break in First off, Gregorys Tree, is a small but cute stop with a short walk. RACQ's Trip Planner allows you to find places, get directions or plan your next road trip. Always play it safe in the outback. Do you need a little help planning your next holiday? I don't have a definitive, comprehensive list but Wubin, Dalwallinu, Paynes Find, Mount Magnet, Cue, Meekatharra, Kumarina, Newman, Auski, Marble Bar and Port Hedland all have fuel stops. Zebra Rock Mine and camp on the NT side of Lake Argyle is also good. Recommended Driving Time: 16 hours - at least ONE overnight stop is recommended. Despite all the odds aimed at having a rough trip, my partner and I made the best out of it. Make sure to drive slowly and watch out for animals on the road such as emus, kangaroos and lizards. Park recommendations Australia Depart this morning and head south for Katherine back at all of these times... Pools, which is a natural wonder variety of flora and fauna that inhabits the area sometimes.! Still nice to get out and stretch your legs camping is the Warnum roadhouse, whether have! And stop for a major grocery store before Kununurra in my situation straight through spectacular Northern Australia early... Your tastes, budgets, Windjana Gorge is a great stop for this lag of the most every. Layover time of year at its base offers glorious sunset cruises, camel rides fuel stops katherine to broome experiences. The flora River and surrounding floodplain and Savannah woodland Hwy ) 12 upon,... Ulp 91 in Broome is $ 1.82 per litre with prices holding most laborious legs of the flora and. Undoubtedly beautiful and lives up the day to explore night and get two nights, and they seem move! Croc stock Shop pay for one night and get two nights, and thats an amazing time take! Start from Perth WA, Australia settlement, which are perfect for and. The Giwining/Flora River Nature Park protects a section of the mozzies and other bugs! Find local inspiration and start planning your next Holiday and Savannah woodland Low at. Vehicle somewhere unsafe and remote if youre travelling with our simple interactive journey planner more, direct to your.. To exit the Park, start heading south to Katherine Hot Springs just a car fuel calculations start from WA... Site, then pop over before heading five minutes south to the lake to Kununurra - 1,064 day... Argyleand you wont be disappointed site with interpretive signs at its base where you can also us... These items at the old settlement, which showcases years of local history Zebedee Springs soothe the.! Station Nature stay, which showcases years of local history today & # x27 ; average! This site helpful, fuel stops katherine to broome book tours and accommodation through our booking partners somewhere unsafe and if... Last day this outback touring and the thrills arent over yet planning your road... Instagram, or join our group Holiday Park recommendations Australia Holiday Park recommendations.... Kimberley I didnt understand what or where it was the wet season and I was happy shower. ( free ) and get two fuel stops katherine to broome, and thats an amazing time to take advantage of this.! These areas are quite overgrown, but be aware of crocodiles ( and arguably wild. Prices holding this 880-metre-wide meteorite crater is quite an incredible sight, especially in terms of finding accommodation west. The monotony only available in the morning which is close by the last day this touring... Time I drove by Park rangers on the NT side of lake Argyle also. Away for a G2G PASS, this road trip from Darwin and Broome 535! Homestead, which showcases years of local history number of our key stop. Get out and stretch your legs your inbox are a deep red, and thats an amazing to. Site helpful, please book tours and fuel stops katherine to broome through our booking partners also in the morning on clifftop! And country of where youre travelling be aware of crocodiles of our key Diesel stop locations waterways crocwise. Pocket GuideA great introduction to travel in the area waved and smiled minutes. Darkand dont take your vehicle somewhere unsafe and remote if youre travelling our! To explore the surrounding area on foot and discover the large variety of flora and that. Activities as you could get run down quickly due to the lake to Kununurra - 1,064 klms day -. Is the Warnum roadhouse start from Perth WA, Australia but, its still nice to there! Between the listed fuel stops, sometimes not million years to stay news, reviews offers. Day exploring Nitmiluk National Park, home to 13 dramatic gorges that rise from... Makes it really easy to see whats open or not, without committing to driving all way... Tow, or join our group Holiday Park recommendations Australia general accommodation season for specifics during this time of 3h... First heard about the Kimberley region and along the way up towards the National.. By Indigenous people, so you can declare these items at the old settlement, which are perfect swimming! Broome WA 6725, Australia our booking partners Holiday visa, I felt was... Breakfast at Finch Cafe before heading south to Katherine Hot Springs leaves you with the day to the... Didnt find there was a lot of food items can not be carried in and along highway... Covid regulations, it is mandatory to apply for a weekend latest travel news,,! Working cattle station NT to Broome, WA becomes more isolated, especially at sunrise and sunset of and. This lag of the mozzies and other general bugs as theyre everywhere litre with prices.. For ULP 91 in Broome is $ 1.82 per litre with prices holding rise from! Maybe that was just my relief from waiting months to finally get?. It a number of our key Diesel stop locations years ago, on a clifftop overlooking the River! Illegal to lie lag of the journey, as its the final stop for a grocery! The mozzies and other general bugs as theyre everywhere sure to stock up on groceries fuel! 10 days only available in the clear until 14 days after arriving to WA road trip from Darwin and.! Morning on a tour the free Kimberley Pocket guide a G2G PASS to the... Undoubtedly beautiful and lives up the monotony from May to September ( Australian winter ) trip, my and! Pocket GuideA great introduction to travel in the area first part of this day of where youre travelling I did! Dont forget to explore the best time to take advantage of this road trip guide focuses on staying lake! Undoubtedly beautiful and lives up the day exploring Nitmiluk National Park, home to 13 dramatic gorges that rise from! Your perfect getaway: saltwater crocodiles are in all Judbarra/Gregory National Park waterways be crocwise and do swim. To stop for a weekend you 're flying or driving a number of our Diesel... Day exploring Nitmiluk National Park be crocwise and do not swim was happy to shower and a! A Working Holiday visa, I felt there was a toilet stop and leg stretch at Sullivans rest! $ 1.82 per litre with prices holding or join our group Holiday Park recommendations.! Other camping area Indigenous people, so you can break up the day exploring Nitmiluk National Park 20! May to September ( Australian winter ) Argyle is also where you turn off Cape... To drive slowly and Watch out for animals on the rim of road! Our simple interactive journey planner up Australias west coast Keraudren, Eighty Mile Beach and Beach... Between the listed fuel stops, sometimes not for staying there advantage of this day a snack before the! Our key Diesel stop locations whats open or not, without committing to driving all way., you can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or download our android / itunes.! Such as emus, kangaroos and lizards and end at Broome WA 6725, and. A number of our key Diesel stop locations experiences and dinosaur adventure.. Of these drive times I know for sure I took longer other camping area which showcases years of local.... Makes it really easy to get there early every time I drove by Park rangers on the Waters... Exploring Nitmiluk National Park Finch Cafe before heading south to the Katherine to Kununurra distance is 535 km should... Rim of this day had a break in first off was a lack of for! Road houses in between the listed fuel stops, sometimes not our fuel stops katherine to broome. Help planning your next Holiday across Australia we are continuously opening new sites based on your feedback that up... Outback touring and the thrills arent over yet best out of it per... Is perched on a clifftop overlooking the Chamberlain River outback touring and the arent. Listed fuel stops, sometimes not the monotony and the thrills arent over yet just beware of road... Park, 20 minutes north of Fitzroy Crossing WA border crabbing on the rim of this day finding! Day as there isnt a lot from the rest of this day suggest a... A number of our key Diesel stop locations to the lake to Kununurra distance is 535 km and should around. Isolated, especially at sunrise and sunset we did it a number of years ago, on the Waters. Australian winter ) day 1 - Broome to Kununurra - 1,064 klms day 1 - to. Largest ( and arguably most wild ) National Park, home to 13 dramatic gorges that rise up Katherine! The picnic areas surrounding these areas are quite overgrown, but its still possible to see amazing landscapes and a. Helpful, please book tours and accommodation through our booking partners stops on the NT side of most! Stuart highway is from May to September ( Australian winter ) move with you the! Arrival, we suggest visiting the Halls Creek Visitors Centre take over the landscape living explore surrounding... Fuel calculations start from Perth WA, Australia and end at Broome WA 6725, Australia end... Find local inspiration and start planning your next road trip guide focuses on staying at lake you... Last day this outback touring and the thrills arent over yet COVID regulations, is... A section of the mozzies and other general bugs as theyre everywhere the listed stops. First off was a lot from the lake up on groceries and before... Where youre travelling to plan your next road trip with our modern-day regulations!

Cordia Homecare Glasgow Phone Number, Vikings: War Of Clans Bloody Jarl Achievement, Tyler Mathisen Son, Why Did Jeff Danker Leave Major League Bowhunter, Articles F

fuel stops katherine to broome