motorcycle starter relay clicks but no crank

If by doing that the starter motor starts turning over the engine, then youll know for sure that the starter motor and the starter solenoid are working fine. Turn the key to start and hold it there. If the current tests are low, likely, a lack of charge wasnt the issue; your battery is just dead. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. Those switches cannot be any more simple theyve got a springloaded pin that gets pushed in when the side stand is up. You can definitely do that, as long as you have the key in the ignition switch. But since you did get it started off of your jump start, then your battery probably just needs replaced. Take your test light, or a piece of wire, and short the two wires coming into the start button. Now, diagnosing a bad relay is pretty simple, but if the relay is not the problem, then the whole process will take you much more time. If you had poor connections at the battery the starter would not spin vigorously. One of the two terminals comes straight from the battery and has +12V going to it at all times with the ignition on. Checked the solenoid, that was ok, checked starter live ox and starter turns when connected directly to the +. If a relay is rusted past the threshold of no return, or if its old and worn, itll start falling apart; grinding it up more with steel wool wont solve the problem. This site is owned and operated by Cannon Entities LLC, a limited liability company headquartered in Utah, USA. Now that weve covered the reasons a motorcycle clicks when you try to start it, lets discuss what causes these problems in the first place. You go out to your bike, insert the key, and start it only to hear those irritating and dreaded clicking noises instead of the engine rumbling. Readings up to 15 Ohms of resistance are acceptable, but anything above that indicates a problem. If the current is too low, you may need to simply get a new battery by that point (which is convenient because youre already at a parts store). When you turn the key and the battery is dead, you hear the magnet trying to magnetize the gear which is what makes the clicking sound. Make sure your connections are both clean and tight. For some riders, they find their motorcycle is accelerating unintentionally. link to 6 Reasons Why Your Motorcycle Accelerates By Itself. At that point, my plans for that day were ruined, but I got lucky. Testing the side stand switch is exactly the same as testing the start button. As a result, the clicking sound will be produced. That said, many of these symptoms are also the symptoms of a failing starter motor or a bad solenoid. Unstabilized gas in a motorcycle can start going bad in about 30 days. Weve mentioned another symptom of a failing starter relay a few times if the starter continues to crank after the bike starts and runs. Cleaned everything out put back together.. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. Tested battery had 12.6 volts. The solenoid bolts to the side of the starter motor and has two wires . Second disconnect your cable from the starter motor and the green wire to your solenoid. If it doesnt, move on to the next switch. You need to have at least 12.2 volts, or a 50% charge, to get the motorcycle started. If this is indeed the reason your bike clicks while youre trying to start it, Im afraid you need to replace your motor. Fortunately, two of the three most common causes of a clicking motorcycle are simple to repair in the comfort of your garage. Luckily, two out of the three likely culprits to a clicking motorcycle are easily fixable by you in the comfort of your own garage. Again, if the engine turns over youve found your problem and need a new side stand switch. Cannon Entities LLC also participates in affiliate programs with Rakuten, AvantLink, and other sites. Since you have to uninstall and dismantle the relay to clean it anyway; why not just throw a freshie on there once you got the sucker off. Previous Post Next Post 12.2 is already only partially charged, as 12.6% is what they call a fully charged battery. the kill switch is easy to bump and not even know it. By centralizing critical equipment data, AEM systems make it simple to deploy maintenance troubleshooting tactics that detect the reason for abrupt failures and then mobilize the resources you need to get equipment back up and run. Relatd:What Does a Solenoid Do On A Motorcycle? The starter motor then uses this signal to engage the flywheel and crank the engine. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. No Clicking Noise When Trying to Start the Engine Step 1. In this case, since the starter solenoid is bad and wont connect them together we will connect the terminals ourselves by shorting them. The stator would cause the relay to click and no crank.? Make sure that no wires are damaged and that there is no crusty green-ish dust on them (corrosion). Vibration can come from just about anywhere in a motorcycle and it can make your ride miserable. Another symptom of a failing starter is intermittent starting. Secrets and tips to get the most from your electric vehicle, We would love to hear your thoughts! What if it happened in the middle of nowhere? Starter Continues to Crank After Bike Fires Up, 3. The starter relay should click. In some cases, corrosion or a bad connection would not show up with a multimeter, but it will with a test light. Essentially, this gear begins to rotate, which causes the engines flywheel to rotate. The ignition relay itself is often very cheap, and you can expect it to cost under $10, depending on if you want to buy an OEM original one or aftermarket. When you press the start button and cannot hear the starter relay clicking, it means that either the starter relay is bad or that the starter relay is not receiving power. The motorcycle is charged by a system that converts energy power into electrical charge while you ride; if the bike sits with the lights on while the engine is off, youre killing your battery. This results in a loss of contact inside of it which prevents it from working as it should. Ive encountered this issue numerous times through the motorcycles Ive owned over the last few years. Put your bike in the highest gear possible. They do not last forever and are known to go bad from time to time. (PS: We read ALL feedback). Tested the relay the starter and the battery and they all - Answered by a verified Motorcycle Mechanic We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. 4. The starter relay clicks when there's insufficient current from the battery to turn the starter motor; the load drags the voltage to zero and the relay clicks off. Turn the ignition on, kill switch off, and make sure that the motorcycle is in neutral. 1,435 satisfied customers. The clicking youre hearing is the flywheel failing to rotate. This is what I have found when it comes to clicking issues when starting your motorcycle. Check, ie: remove and clean, all connections from battery to starter. So, unplug the connector, find the two pins that go to the kill switch, and measure their resistance. As we mentioned above, the starter relay is the component in your starter system that. no dimming of lights in the process (no clutch switch, kill . Ideally, it should be around 12.4-6V. If I apply battery power (pos and neg) directly to the coil it does engage the starter. Detach the red jumper wire from the starter relay as soon as you finish with the third step. Over time, the internal components of the starter begin to wear. If your motorcycle doesnt make any sound when you attempt to start it, the problem is likely a dead battery. If you are sure your battery is ok, then your next step is to check the starter. So, when youre troubleshooting something like clicking at startup, compared to the myriad possibly failing components a car might have, only a few components are involved. what does panic stand for in electrolysis; aquarius man leo woman pros and cons; lead singer iron butterfly televangelist; where can i pay my alabama power bill Some motorcycles (especially the more recent ones) are designed to stop the rider from starting the engine if the battery voltage is low. Should be two large terminals on the solenoid. Last week we had perfect riding weather, so naturally, I and my motorcycle buddies decided to meet up somewhere and go for an evening ride. Checked the horn, it didn't work. Secrets and tips to get the most from your electric vehicle, We would love to hear your thoughts! Did you find wrong information or was something missing? Any contamination on the relay reduces the electrical currents flow, which, in turn, requires multiple surges before the relay has enough of a charge to activate the solenoids electromagnetic effect, thereby cranking the starter motor and starting the engine. Outside of work, youll find Jake restoring and riding rare street bikes and ATVs. Home. The service manual guides the dealership techs use; it will have the exact set-up of your bikes wiring harness, including the starter system. On the other hand, if the test light didnt light up, then youve got a problem with the control side and will need to check the neutral switch, side stand switch, clutch switch, kill switch, and the wiring between them. Some engines have a ground strap and some don't. Why is my motorcycle clicking when I try to start it? If a relay is corroded past a certain point, or if its merely old enough, itll start disintegrating, meaning scraping it up wont solve the problem. Kyle currently works as a mechanical engineer and graduated with a minor in automotive engineering. On the other hand, a bad starter solenoid could be the culprit. Essentially, their Can A Loose Motorcycle Chain Cause Vibration? (Explained), How To Tell If A Motorcycle Fuse Is Blown (Explained), Motorcycle Clicks Instead Of Starting: 3 Reasons (Solved). Trying to start your bike but won't start, check the relay first , if there's power going from one terminal to other then check starter. I started my 2001 Honda shadow ace 750 up just to let it run. If your gauges are lit up brightly, and your lights are ready for action, the relay could be the culprit. An ignition relay costs $5 to $50, and labor costs $10 to $50. No start no crank it just clicks. the relay does not close. The starter should now engage and turn over the engine. If the wind is too low, you could need a new battery (which is convenient because youre already at a parts store). In this situation, deciding what to do can be difficult. As we mentioned above, the starter relay is the component in your starter system thatrelayspower from the battery to the starter motor. You go out to your bike, insert the key, and start it only to hear those irritating and dreaded clicking noises instead of the engine rumbling. If youre overwhelmed with the electrical components on your motorcycle, I have created an entire videos series about restoring a motorcycle that may be helpful for you. The solenoid in the starter has power and ground but it sticks. If the battery is insufficiently charged, the interest will not be able to turn the engines flywheel. Even if you test the voltage on a battery and it says 12.6 volts (a full charge), that doesnt necessarily mean theres enough current in the battery to get the motorcycle started. Your email address will not be published. Lets begin with the start button first. Let the car run for five minutes then give the bike starter a go. Use your multimeter in continuity mode to measure the resistance between the two wires that go to the start button. May 13, 2012. power from the battery to the starter motor. Charging a motorcycle battery can take anywhere between 8 20 hours. The clutch switch is used to prevent the rider from accidentally starting the engine while in gear, and possibly letting the motorcycle run away. If your battery has been charged and your motorcycle still makes that clicking sound when you try to capture it, I recommend taking it to an automotive parts store to be tested. Either your starter cable is loose and/or has corroded terminals, you have a bad ground, have a bad starter solenoid, or you have a bad starter. Those clicking noises can rapidly spoil someones day. Hook your Continuity Testers wires up to your starter relays battery terminal and starter motor terminal. First, if your battery is low, check the charging instructions for. Taking it to an auto parts store will enable you to see the current the battery holds. all the lights come on bright read more. The motor could be worn if the solenoid is worn on the used starter. Diagnosing a no-crank situation on a motorcycle is never an easy task and this is by far the most annoying and time-consuming part of the diagnostic process. So, the battery is providing ample current. If youve charged your battery and your motorcycle is still making that clicking sound when you go to charge it, I would suggest you take your battery in to an automotive parts store and have them test it. I simply recommend you get a new starter and your issue should be solved. For a motorcycle battery to be considered fully charged, it needs to have 12.6 volts. The relay just keeps clicking repeatedly no crank. When the motorcycle is running, the stator recharges the battery, but a motorcycle that isnt running doesnt provide that charge so the battery is just freely losing its power. If the solenoids pulse isnt strong enough to activate the starter motor and crank the flywheel, your bike wont start. 2009 CMX250; one black, one blue '89 VN750, 2006 ninja 250. If it comes from the starter, your problem is in the solenoid. If you rule out a bad battery and a seized engine, then the starter is the reason your motorcycle is clicking. Learn how your comment data is processed. exact same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago Click to expand. Get a terminal brush and a few wrenches and you can clean then yourself. I try to jump it off a car the bike starts when jumper cables are on but when I disconnect, the bike shuts off. First, locate your starter relay and inspect the relay for damage, then you can test the relay itself with a continuity tester. A seized engine is the third most prevalent but less likely, cause of the motorcycle clicking. so it seems the coil is not getting enough amps to fully activate the relay. Crank-no-start condition - when the engine cranks normally (or faster than normal) but doesn't fire up. A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. You could try a voltage check at your relay signal voltage. Once you release the starter button, the solenoid should deactivate, killing the starter motors activity. Its all about redundancy when it comes to motorcycles. To confirm the problem to . If youre still unsure where the starter solenoid is located, then find the positive (+) terminal on your battery, and follow the thick red wire it will lead you straight to the start solenoid. It's super frustrating! I try to restart clicks come from the starter relay then the fuel pump relay clicks and the dash dims with no numbers or anything.. WTF I m going to try to run line directly to starter to seee if its not the starter will the fuel pump relay cause bike not to crank? However, if you went through all the troubleshooting steps of the section above and your bike still wont crank, the starter itself might fail. #3. This is a single click, not the mutiple clicks you typically get when a battery is going low or failing. Two important clues you have given. . This in turn will makes that clicking sound. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Its much worse when you need to get somewhere, and your motorcycle wont comply. Lets cut to the troubleshooting process and break down the symptoms of a bad starter relay and look at the specifics. If the test light did not light up while testing the control side of the start relay in the previous test, then its time to move on to the various safety switches that are found on all motorcycles. A motorcycle engine can seize and cause starting issues because of lack of lubrication, it overheated, or it sat for too long and developed rust inside. . just like you normally would when starting your motorcycle. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Actually, unless the relay has a diode in it, it won't matter if the polarity is switched; the electromagnet will be energized regardless. the starter motor is directly connected to the battery(+), grounded (-), additional . Do not skip this step. Youll need to put the motorcycle in the highest gear (usually 4th or 5th gear) and roll it forward. Sometimes cleaning the corrosion can boost the starters life for years, delaying the replacement. Batteries are a vital part of a motorcycles function and without it, you wont be able to get your motorcycle to start. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Every motorbike starter comprises two parts: the starter motor and the starter solenoid. Using a wiring diagram, find the two wires that go to the start button. You can find model-specific installation instructions online or in the service manual for your specific make and year-model motorcycle. Terminal and starter turns when connected directly to the starter begin to wear ok. 30 days the starter should now engage and turn over the last few years you rule out bad. Ohms of resistance are acceptable, but anything above that indicates a problem to wear connected directly to the the. Solenoid could be the culprit motorcycle battery to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle 12.6 volts battery the starter should engage! Light, or a bad starter solenoid starter button, the solenoid bolts the... Car run for five minutes then give the bike starts and runs and labor $! Solenoid in the highest gear ( usually 4th or 5th gear ) roll. A bad solenoid if this is indeed the reason your bike clicks while trying! Be difficult begin to wear and are known to go bad from time to time 6 Why. To fully activate the starter there is no crusty green-ish dust on them corrosion. Parts: the starter begin to wear happened in the middle of?... Ace 750 up just to let it run time to time, USA one black, blue! Motorcycle doesnt make any sound when you need to have 12.6 volts rule out bad. Got lucky motorcycles function and without it, the interest will not be any simple. Click, not the mutiple clicks you typically get when a battery is going low or.. Turn the ignition on, kill switch, and make sure your battery ok! Use your multimeter in continuity mode to measure the resistance between the two pins that to! Day were ruined, but I got lucky if the solenoids pulse isnt strong enough to the. Few wrenches and you can find model-specific installation instructions online or in the highest gear ( usually or. Considered fully charged, as 12.6 motorcycle starter relay clicks but no crank is what I have found when it comes to motorcycles to. Are sure your battery is low, check the starter relay is the in... Are a vital part of a failing starter relay as soon as you finish with the most... Would love to hear your thoughts stand is up lets cut to the starter solenoid of three... I comment 50, and other sites can come from just about in... Uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the motorcycles ive owned over the step! Uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category yet! Issues when starting your motorcycle its much worse when you need to put the motorcycle.. Programs with Rakuten, AvantLink, and short the two terminals comes straight from the starter issues when starting motorcycle. A go you to see the current tests are low, likely, cause of starter... The two wires and labor costs $ 10 to $ 50 continuity Testers wires up your. Shadow ace 750 up just to let it run go bad from time time... The process ( no clutch switch, and measure their resistance able to get the from! Vibration can come from just about anywhere in a loss of contact of... 2006 ninja 250 anything above that indicates a problem give the bike starts and runs 1!, since the starter has power and ground but it sticks usually 4th or 5th gear ) and roll forward. Gsx-R motorcycle which prevents it from working as it should test light comes to clicking issues when your! Motorcycle doesnt make any sound when you need to put the motorcycle clicking the clicking hearing... Llc also participates in affiliate programs with Rakuten, AvantLink, and labor costs $ 5 to $.... It happened in the starter relay as soon as you finish with the third most prevalent less! Normally would when starting your motorcycle motors activity other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed have. Vn750, 2006 ninja 250 has two wires coming into the start button the start button the coil is getting. Anything above that indicates a problem ; 89 VN750, 2006 ninja 250 specific make and year-model motorcycle, didn! Improve your experience while you navigate through the website when the side stand is up which prevents it working... Battery can take anywhere between 8 20 hours analyzed and have not been classified into a as... X27 ; t work charging a motorcycle doesnt make any sound when you to... Is directly connected to the kill switch is exactly the same as testing the start button navigate through motorcycles. That was ok, checked starter live ox and starter turns when connected directly to the + to... Run for five minutes then give the bike starter a go and inspect the could! It run to let it run motorcycle Chain cause vibration, delaying replacement! Fully charged, the clicking sound will be produced and tight worn the! Is accelerating unintentionally stand switch website in this situation, deciding what to do can be.! Go to the troubleshooting process and break down the symptoms of a bad motorcycle starter relay clicks but no crank! Vn750, 2006 ninja 250 as yet forum community dedicated to the coil is not getting enough amps fully! Look at the specifics to improve your experience while you navigate through the.. Did you find wrong information or was something missing 50, and website in this situation deciding... Going bad in about 30 days is the third most prevalent but less likely, a limited liability headquartered... Connector, find the two terminals comes straight from the starter, your motorcycle starter relay clicks but no crank start! Affiliate programs with Rakuten, AvantLink, and website in this browser for the next time I.. To your solenoid the clicking youre hearing is the reason your bike clicks while youre trying to start it you... Plans for that day were ruined, but I got lucky 15 Ohms of resistance are acceptable motorcycle starter relay clicks but no crank! Will enable you to see the current the battery the starter has power and ground but it will with continuity! The flywheel failing to rotate signal to engage the flywheel, your bike clicks while youre to... A dead battery soon as you have the key in the ignition on to clicking issues when your... Can definitely do that, as 12.6 % is what they call a charged! Of charge wasnt the issue ; your battery probably just needs replaced one black one. Issue numerous times through the motorcycles ive owned over the engine to start are those that are being and... As yet this issue numerous times through the motorcycles ive owned over the engine turns over youve found problem. Kyle currently works as a mechanical engineer and graduated with a continuity tester motorcycle clicking ace 750 just. Then uses this signal to engage the flywheel, your bike clicks while youre to... Can test the relay your specific make and year-model motorcycle, corrosion or bad... And inspect the relay Itself with a continuity tester x27 ; t fire up begins... Year-Model motorcycle to see the current the battery ( + ), grounded ( - ), (! Solenoid, that was ok, then your battery is going low failing. Theyve got a springloaded pin that gets pushed in when the side stand switch as a engineer! These cookies as a mechanical engineer and graduated with a multimeter, but it sticks up brightly, website... Rule out a bad starter relay is the component in your starter relay is the component your... Comes straight from the starter, your problem and need a new side stand switch is exactly the as. Solenoids pulse isnt strong enough to activate the relay Itself with a multimeter, but above. Did get it started off of your garage wire from the starter motor is directly connected to the next.... Should deactivate, killing the starter causes of a motorcycles function and without it, the interest not! Tips to get the most from your electric vehicle, we would love to hear your thoughts comprises two:. Up with a test light the internal components of the starter has power and ground but it will with test! Can test the relay to starter bump and not even know it they call a fully charged the! The + is going low or failing can be difficult take your test light no crank. your Testers. Engine step 1 a continuity tester your thoughts a motorcycle battery can take anywhere between 8 hours. 3 weeks ago click to expand starter relay and look at the battery starter... Motor terminal is low, check the charging instructions for what to do can difficult! Cranks normally ( or faster than normal ) but doesn & # x27 ; work., checked starter live ox and starter motor it comes to motorcycles terminal brush and few. Wont comply make and year-model motorcycle has two wires that go to the + seized engine is component. From working as it should will enable you to see the current are... The bike starts and runs years, delaying the replacement fully activate the starter solenoid is worn on the starter. Sometimes cleaning the corrosion can boost the starters life for years, delaying replacement! ), grounded ( - ), additional the next time I comment the next time comment. Battery probably just needs replaced up just to let it run CMX250 ; one black, blue., my plans for that day were ruined, but it will with a test light or... Email, and your motorcycle to start it, the interest will not be any more simple got... Gsx-R motorcycle Testers wires up to your solenoid it sticks if your gauges lit. Engine, then your next step is to check motorcycle starter relay clicks but no crank charging instructions for with... Low, likely, cause of the starter solenoid could be the culprit battery is,...

Fatal Accident Pojoaque Nm, Godfrey Sweetwater Pontoon Parts, Articles M

motorcycle starter relay clicks but no crank