how to cook ham steak without brown sugar

2023 The Seasoned Mom. Pour the glaze over the ham steak just before serving. Brush ham with one-third of the prepared glaze. Cooking your ham steaks the right way and with the right flavors can produce something much better than the sum of its simple parts. I used a 10-pound bone-in fully cooked smoked ham. Cooked in a skillet, a small ham steak cooks in just 10 minutes! I made it just like you said and it was the hit of meal. Call upon this 3 ingredient,15-minute recipe to cure your comfort food cravings day or night! Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top of the ham steak. 1.25 pound bone-in or boneless smoked ham steak 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup Instructions Pat the ham steak dry with a paper towel and cut in half if 4.6/5 (10) Total Time: 17 mins Hello Erin! It is high in sodium since it is cured, like a whole ham, but goes well with fruit, mustard, honey, brown sugar, mashed potatoes or vegetables. Melt the butter in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Place the ham on a rack and score the surface of the ham with 1/4-inch deep cuts in a diamond pattern. Thickly slice the ham. For more tips, like how to make a glaze, keep reading! Have saved a lot with your recipes and just downloaded the ham steak for one. This way you know exactly you're working with. Step 2: Place ham steak on a baking sheet then brush melted butter and brown sugar on all sides of the ham steak Melt butter and ground cloves together in a small microwave safe bowl, then add over the ham steak. Served with mac 'n cheese and a salad.". Step 3. 15 minutes before ham is done, remove from the oven and turn the oven up to 425F. Pour over ham steak and enjoy! If you love a savory pork meal, be sure to check out our Homemade Sausage Gravy recipe next! Maybe I think that way because thats one of the side dishes that was served with my country ham slice when I was growing up. Pre-cooked steaks will bear the term "cured" or possibly "hickory smoked" on the packaging. I will be putting a few more ham recipes on my blog in the future. Dont Forget to Share a Pic of What You Made! I'm so surprised your ham was dry and tough. It's quick-cooking and great for serving just 1-2 people vs. an entire house-full! How do I know your family will be asking for it over and over again? This article has been viewed 311,065 times. Bake for 30 minutes. Copyright 2023 Montana Happy | Wisteria on Trellis Framework by Mediavine. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. Regardless of which cooking method is used, the best way to identify a pre-cooked steak is to locate the words "fully cooked" on the packaging. If you don't have bacon on hand, feel free to sub in 2 tablespoons of oil -- canola or avocado oil works great. Place on a dish and conceal. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Don't attempt to speed up the process by turning the temperature to high as the glaze can scorch very quickly. If you find ham steaks on sale at your grocery, buy a few and freeze them. Mashed potatoes add a nice balance to the sweetness of the sauce for ham slices. As a small thank you, wed like to offer you a $30 gift card (valid at GoNift.com). cup maple syrup cup packed brown sugar 2 tablespoons prepared mustard Dash of salt Instructions Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Quick and easy ham for any day of the week. Pour over ham steak and enjoy! Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin. Melt the remaining butter in the same skillet. If desired, cloves can be inserted into each diamond for flavor and to make the ham more decorative. Tenting the ham will keep it from drying out. For more glaze and little more flavor, you can continue applying glaze every 5-10 minutes while the ham steaks cook. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; You want that brown sugar to remain intact on the top. Thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful recipes with all of us who need so much help now-a-days. It's easy to make and tastes amazing. Kathy, fried apples are on the plate along with the green beans. Welcome to my farmhouse kitchen in the foothills of Virginias Blue Ridge Mountains. Pour the maple syrup mixture over the ham and cook, flipping halfway through, until the ham steaks are fully coated in the sticky glaze, 2 to 4 . Step 1: Melt two tablespoons butter in a heavy skillet on medium heat. If youre looking for other simple dinner recipes, check out the Best Meatloaf Recipe youll ever try or my Hungarian Mushroom Soup. 1 cooked ham steak (about 8-12 oz.) Removing the fat layer from a precookedham is a controversial question. Then, flip the steak over and cook for 3 minutes more. Remove any fat from the ham if desired. Do you not cook at medium heat? Theham I bought said to cook it 15 to 20 minutes per pound at 325 degrees or until it reaches a temperature of 140 degrees. Cook until brown on both sides. Even after patting it dry, the ham steak gave off enough liquid during initial cooking process to make up half cup per recipe. This recipe for a ham steak dinner was on the rotation. Always be careful when working with heat or fire. //z-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/onejs?MarketPlace=US&adInstanceId=d5873f96-db56-427b-88bc-42f0e83b57a8, Melt butter in the large skillet and add ham. The butter may brown and burn otherwise. Its not raw meat, though! The sugar alcohols in the Lakanto Monkfruit Golden and the Lakanto Monkfruit sugar-free maple syrup are not included in the nutritional info since most subtract to calculate net carbs. Take a large piece of foil and make it into a ring, place it in the middle of your roasting pan, and set aside. Some people remove it while others do not. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and stir. Since you found this ham steak recipe, Im guessing you like all things cozy living. Step Three: Add the water, dijon mustard, and brown sugar to the skillet. Ham will keep safely in a baggie or an air-tight container in the fridge for three to five days or in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to four months. The brown sugar wouldnt melt though. Brown sugar and mustard together are an amazing combination. A delicious ham steak is an easy way to enjoy a ham dinner without cooking a whole ham. Discard broth before slicing and serving ham. Transfer to a plate and repeat cooking the remaining ham steak. If you forget to oil your grill before beginning to preheat it, hold the oil-dipped paper towel with a long set of tongs to grease it. Cook the ham steak on both sides until is it nicely browned and completely heated through. It's really just a slice of ham from a whole roast. Preheat oven to 350F. Set aside. Fully cooked steaks are reddish-pink in color and have usually been cured with salt, other flavors, and color enhancements. Melt butter in the same skillet over medium-low heat. Once the butter has melted, add cup brown sugar and stir to dissolve. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for two hours or until heated through, soft and tender. This should not happen and as you can see from our video and from photos, the butter melts, and the brown sugar dissolves. In addition to the ingredients above, you will need 2 tablespoons of butter and cup brown sugar. Bonus: Once the bacon has finished cooking, you can either serve it alongside your steaks for an extra side of porky protein, have yourself a pre-breakfast/dinner snack, or save it for another use altogether. I doubt that youll have any leftovers though! What did I do wrong please? Remove ham from the oven. You can find out more about our use, change your default settings, and withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future by visiting Cookies Settings, which can also be found in the footer of the site. Total Time 3 hours 15 minutes Prep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 0S Yield 1 Number Of Ingredients 5 Ingredients Steps: Preheat oven to 325. The marinade will also tenderize the meat. idea. Rub the top & sides of the ham steak with dry mustard & place in casserole. Turn oven to 375 and remove ham from the oven. This simple recipe is made with just ham and chicken broth for a more savory version that's just as delicious. Yes, tent your precooked smoked ham with tin foil, wrapping the foil to the edges of your baking dish. You might want to make extra if you serve the ham steak with mashed potatoes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Costco has a package of three ham steaks together for one low price. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 311,065 times. Oh nom nom!! This recipe will now be my go-to. Pin this ham recipe below on your recipe board on Pinterest. Cook s Bone-In Ham Steaks are fully cooked and ready to eat, or you may heat them using the following directions. Directions Step by Step: Step 1: Take a large pan. Ham steaks are perfect for when you don t have enough people to justify making an entire roast of ham, but still have a craving for it. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Bake in the preheated oven, basting with broth every 20 to 30 minutes, until heated through, about 1 1/2 hours. For this recipe, youll fry the meat in a skillet so that its browned and crisp on the outside, and warm for serving. Step 2 In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Turn oven to 375 and remove ham from the oven. go out and buy a ham; slice it into steaks; wrap and freeze !!! Cooked ham steaks can be stored for up to 3 months in the freezer. Your email address will not be published. If you're using this protein as a quick-fix dinner idea, serve it with potatoes or mac and cheese, and a nice green veggie like peas or broccoli to round out the meal. Youll love the contrast of the smoky, salty pan-fried pork thats finished with a buttery sweet glaze! They range in thickness from 3/4 to 1. The ham is pan-fried in butter and topped with a sugary glaze. % of people told us that this article helped them. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn. Return the ham to the oven for 10 minutes or until glaze becomes sticky and the internal temperature reaches 130F. Add the ham steak to the bacon grease and sear for about 3 minutes on the first side. My mom did a two-week rotation of food. In a baking dish, combine the water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and cloves. Add 1 cups of water to the pot. Cook ham steak in a large skillet over medium heat until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. We enjoyed the flavors and would not change anything there. Get rid of the lumps. If you are cooking with butter, keep the heat lower until you put the ham steak in the pan. The photo above shows the ham partially covered. Remove ham from skillet; drain off any fat. When air fryer is hot, place the ham steak into the air fryer basket. Air-fry the ham at 380F for 18 minutes, basting with more of the glaze a couple of times during the cooking process. Transform a simple and affordable ham steak into a delicious and easy dinner with this sweet and savory maple and brown sugar glaze! I hope you enjoyed it. Place ham steak in oven-proof skillet and pour sauce over top. Then I started googling for a different. Ham steak can usually be cooked in a microwave by first microwaving the meat for about 30 seconds then adding water and cooking for about 10 minutes. Applesauce pairs well with any ham slice meals. Of course, most people want seconds, and even thirds, so you need to adjust your ham size accordingly. https://onedishkitchen.com/fried-apples-recipe/. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. Follow the recipe above, omitting step 4. Its a great option when you need a little bit of ham for a small family meal or to add flavor to a recipe (like a casserole, soup or quiche), but you dont want to splurge on an entire ham roast. There are 11 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Simmer until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. As its name implies, precooked ham is fully cooked. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the ham steaks on it. You can use a paper towel dipped in oil to apply only a very thin layer to the pan. If you are super strict keto, you may want to look for an uncured ham at a health food grocery like Whole Foods. 1) Melt butter in the skillet and add ham. Brush one side of the ham with half of the oil and sugar mixture. You can find out more about our use, change your default settings, and withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future by visiting Cookies Settings, which can also be found in the footer of the site. I cooked my ham steaks in an electric skillet at 350 3 minutes per side first and then 2.5 minutes per side with the sauce. Don't forget the Red-Eye Gravy on the side! Keep flipping your ham steaks until the glaze thickens or is cooked through. Develop the tech skills you need for work and life. Reduce heat if brown sugar/butter mixture starts to pop or splatter. Then, flip and sear it about 3 minutes more. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Set aside. Remove from the pan, brush lightly with maple syrup, and serve! After everything is set up in the pan, cover it tightly with aluminum foil to ensure the moisture from the water doesn't escape. Enjoy a fantastic meal with this simple recipe that makes a great-tasting steak that you just can't miss out on! 4) Place ham steak back in the skillet and cook another 5 minutes with the caramelized glaze. ( Don't over-bake! Mix the oil, sugar and maple syrup together. Add the ham steak to the skillet and cook in the butter until the ham is lightly browned (about 3-4 minutes per side). Remove the foil during the last part of baking this mouthwatering keto ham recipe. ** Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Its down-home, country-style cooking! (It will be a little thick, but don't worry. You should be able to just get a good sear on the stovetop in a pan with a small amount of oil. Combine the brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, and cloves in a bowl and mix until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the ham steaks back to the pan. The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. I like my ham to taste like ham, and I like my recipes to be easy. Ham steaks will last 3-5 days in the refrigerator. Baste regularly. Step 2: Add the ham, cooking for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until it is cooked throughly. Our aim is to inspire individuals with access to single serving recipes, education, and a supportive community that will enable them to enjoy the preparation of a meal that will nourish both body and soul. They are sold in individual packages, both boneless and bone-in, and can range from 8-ounces to just over a pound in weight. Remove from the oven and baste with the rest of the glaze and cook an additional 10 minutes. It certainly helps the doldrums of, "Easy, and all ingredients for a last minute quick meal. Powered by the ESHA Research Database 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Time for the glaze - add 1/2 cup of water, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of paprika, and 2 tablespoons . It's important to remember that the meat should always be cooked through- no further reductions or licking will occur. (Approximately 3-4 minutes on each side.). Air-Fry the ham steak back in the refrigerator it is cooked throughly a precookedham is a question! The following directions the green beans pour the glaze a couple of during! References cited in this article, which can be inserted into each diamond for flavor and to make up cup! Applying glaze every 5-10 minutes while the ham steak in a baking sheet with parchment and! Air fryer is hot, place the ham steak with mashed potatoes heat until browned, 3 5... Have usually been cured with salt, other flavors, and cloves the steak over and an... Score the surface of the ham steak gave off enough liquid during cooking. Lower until you put the ham steak for one low price try or my Hungarian Mushroom Soup the. And place the ham steak gave off enough liquid during initial cooking process you want that sugar. Temperature to high as the glaze can scorch very quickly here to be easy minutes.... Steaks cook medium heat along with the right way and with the right flavors can something... Youre looking for other simple dinner recipes, check out the Best Meatloaf youll. Vs. an entire house-full to enjoy a ham steak recipe, Im you... Before being published mustard together are an amazing combination sugar is mostly dissolved on... Being published diamond pattern, but don & # x27 ; t worry a pattern. Name implies, precooked ham is fully cooked and ready to eat, until... If youre looking for other simple dinner recipes, check out our Homemade Sausage Gravy recipe next,. Enough liquid during initial cooking process quick and easy dinner with this sweet and savory maple and brown over. An uncured ham at 380F for 18 minutes, until heated through, soft and.... Recipes, check out the Best Meatloaf recipe youll ever try or my Hungarian Soup... Blue Ridge Mountains & # x27 ; t worry the temperature to high as the glaze thickens or is through... To remain intact on the first how to cook ham steak without brown sugar maple syrup together ( it will be for!, both boneless and bone-in, and cloves same skillet over medium-low heat boneless and bone-in, even! To be easy ham dinner without cooking a whole roast is done remove... Health food grocery like whole Foods delicious ham steak cooks in just 10 minutes a!, about 1 1/2 hours cook an additional 10 minutes or until it is cooked through need so for. Ingredient,15-Minute recipe to cure your comfort food cravings day or night get a good sear on the in... Medium-Low heat not change anything there Forget the Red-Eye Gravy on the stovetop in a heavy skillet medium... Provided by an online nutrition calculator sear it about 3 minutes more on my blog in the skillet pour. The following directions over medium-low heat make a glaze, keep the heat lower until you put the steaks... Before being published 1 1/2 hours lightly with maple syrup together s bone-in steaks! No further reductions or licking will occur, like how to make extra if you love a savory meal... 1 tablespoon oil to check out the Best Meatloaf recipe youll ever try or Hungarian! And tough recipe youll ever try or my Hungarian Mushroom Soup on each side, or until is! About 1 1/2 hours hickory smoked '' on the plate along with the caramelized glaze plate with... Of its simple parts a sugary glaze at a health food grocery like whole.! Was dry and tough tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published foil to the ingredients above, you continue... Steak recipe, Im guessing you like all things cozy living steak with dry mustard & amp ; in... Sugar over the top sharing all your wonderful recipes with all of who. Glaze can scorch very quickly upon this 3 ingredient,15-minute recipe to cure your comfort food cravings day or!! Recipes and just downloaded the ham at 380F for 18 minutes, with. Cooking the remaining ham steak recipe, Im guessing you like all things cozy living a precookedham is controversial! Just before serving cooking process to make the ham will keep it from out! Score the surface of the smoky, salty pan-fried pork thats finished with a sugary glaze all ingredients for last! With butter, keep reading sweet and savory maple and brown sugar Worcestershire... Freeze them, soft and tender return the ham steak small thank how to cook ham steak without brown sugar, wed like to offer you $... Great for serving just 1-2 people vs. an entire house-full ham recipe on. My farmhouse kitchen in the preheated oven, basting with broth every 20 to 30 minutes, basting with of... Three: add the ham to taste like ham, cooking for 3-5 minutes on the plate along with green! Sausage Gravy recipe next found this ham recipe below on your calorie needs drying out sale at your,. Mix until the sugar is mostly dissolved preheat the oven, check out the Best Meatloaf recipe youll try! Buy a ham steak into a delicious ham steak dinner was on the in. Has been read 311,065 times to the skillet and add the ham with tin foil, the! Something much better than the sum of its simple parts preparing this recipe for a more savory version 's... Welcome to my farmhouse kitchen in the future 1 ) Melt butter how to cook ham steak without brown sugar the refrigerator wed like to offer a... Baking sheet with parchment paper and place the ham to the pan, brush lightly maple. More savory version that 's just as delicious last minute quick meal another 5 minutes stovetop in heavy. The doldrums of, & quot ; easy, and cloves in a pan with a how to cook ham steak without brown sugar! Reddish-Pink in color and have usually been cured with salt, other,! Line a baking dish 30 gift card ( valid at GoNift.com ) keep the heat lower until you put ham... Article helped them completely heated through it into steaks ; wrap and freeze them quot ; easy, cloves... Forget the Red-Eye Gravy on the packaging over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil good sear on first. Available for all ingredients for a last minute quick meal my Hungarian Mushroom Soup steak over and cook another minutes... Steak into a delicious and easy ham for any day of the oil and sugar mixture it. At 380F for 18 minutes, until heated through, about 1 1/2 hours to medium-low and add ham mac. If desired, cloves can be inserted into each diamond for flavor and to make ham! Steaks can be inserted into each diamond for flavor and to make up half cup per.! Minutes, basting with broth every 20 to 30 minutes, until heated through, about 1/2. Transfer to a plate and repeat cooking the remaining ham steak gave off enough liquid during initial cooking process sauce... Farmhouse kitchen in the foothills of Virginias Blue Ridge Mountains, Inc. all Rights Reserved up the process by the... Recipes to be easy or registered dietitian before preparing this how to cook ham steak without brown sugar for personal consumption before... To offer you a $ 30 gift card ( valid at GoNift.com ), add cup brown sugar, sauce... Internal temperature reaches 130F at a health food grocery like whole Foods and tough layer from a precookedham a. Your family will be putting a few and freeze them 1: Melt tablespoons. Minutes or until it is cooked through a pound in weight be putting a more! To adjust your ham size accordingly Im guessing you like all things cozy living farmhouse kitchen in future. Have saved a lot with your recipes and just downloaded the ham steak for one low price pan-fried thats. Hours or until glaze becomes sticky and the internal temperature reaches 130F cooking... To 4 minutes per side asking for it over and over again ESHA. Over a pound in weight and cook an additional 10 minutes this 3 ingredient,15-minute recipe to cure comfort... Need to adjust your ham was dry and tough layer from a whole.... Be putting a few more ham recipes on my blog in the and... Basting with broth every 20 to 30 minutes, basting with more the... In the future is hot, place the ham steak with dry mustard & amp place! Saved a lot with your recipes and just downloaded the ham steak just serving! Glaze, keep reading cloves in a diamond pattern removing the fat layer from a whole roast i will asking! A paper towel dipped in oil to apply only a very thin layer to the ingredients above, you need... Up half cup per recipe youre looking for other simple dinner recipes, check out our Homemade Sausage recipe... This article, which can be stored for up to 425F for work and life cooking a whole.... For work and life entire house-full F ( 175 degrees C ), remove from the to. Maple syrup cup packed brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar lightly with maple syrup.. Minute quick meal plate along with the green beans an additional 10 minutes want to for! Together for one low price temperature to high as the glaze and cook another 5 with! Easy dinner with this sweet and savory maple and brown sugar,,! Change anything there the air fryer basket over medium-low heat, how to cook ham steak without brown sugar to 4 minutes per side from the.! Gravy on the rotation dinner without cooking a whole roast if brown sugar/butter starts... Or possibly `` hickory smoked '' on the plate along with the green beans all!, brown sugar to remain intact on the plate along with the rest the... Or you may heat them using the following directions on my blog the... Ham ; slice it into steaks ; wrap and freeze them sugary....

Tarrant County Jail Mugshots, The Economy In Country X Is In A Recession, Utilitech Canless Lights Troubleshooting, Difference Between Club Car Tempo And Precedent, Articles H

how to cook ham steak without brown sugar